The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OO Pro 4.0? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
What do I want in OO4?

Like the Mazda ads say…

zoom
zoom
zoom

:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post
I just want to add my voice to the chorus of split windows! Multiple windows for the same document! Thank you! :)
I too need multiple windows for the same outline, primarily so that I can view widely separated portions of that outline without lots of scrolling and expanding/collapsing. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynes View Post
I too need multiple windows for the same outline, primarily so that I can view widely separated portions of that outline without lots of scrolling and expanding/collapsing. Thanks.
If OO Pro 4 isn't a dead project, which it appears to be, then perhaps more generally, I need an OO Pro that allows me to display in an outline an alias of any item from that or another outline. To do so, I suspect that OO Pro would internally assign a universally unique address for each "original" item (perhaps something that resembles a combination of the filepath and the "legal" "number" that would result from applying "legal" "numbering" to the "Whole Document"). It could then use this unique address to reference, link to, and display the corresponding item anywhere else.

Ideally, certain behaviors of each alias would be user-selectable, e.g.,
– whether the content of the aliased item is editable within the alias, or whether that content must be edited by directly accessing the original item;
– whether changing the expand/collapse status of the alias affects that status for the original item (or vice versa);
– whether changing a property (font, size, style, color, numbering, prefix, suffix, etc.) of the alias affects that property for the original item (or vice versa);
– whether selecting/highlighting the alias in one window causes the original item to be selected/highlighted in any other open windows in which it appears;
– etc.,
with the user being able to set default preferences for these behaviors.

Given that this thread is still hanging around after roughly 4 years, and Omni has not yet delivered OO Pro 4, what are others using to fill this or similar needs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynes View Post
If OO Pro 4 isn't a dead project, which it appears to be...
Long delayed, but definitely not dead. Original plan was OmniPlan 1.0, then OmniOutliner 4. And then came the shift to Intel processors, which required us to update all the apps. Then the iPhone. Also, iPad. Didn't really seem like we could sit those ones out, you know?

(OmniFocus, that one we brought on ourselves. But there are folks out there that depend on it just as much as you do on OmniOutliner, so I can't say I regret the decision. There's also a lot of code overlap, so OO will benefit from a lot of the work that went into OF.)

In any case, a totally understandable frustration; just wanted to provide a bit of explanation as to why it's taken so long. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Long delayed, but definitely not dead. Original plan was OmniPlan 1.0, then OmniOutliner 4. And then came the shift to Intel processors, which required us to update all the apps. Then the iPhone. Also, iPad. Didn't really seem like we could sit those ones out, you know?

(OmniFocus, that one we brought on ourselves. But there are folks out there that depend on it just as much as you do on OmniOutliner, so I can't say I regret the decision. There's also a lot of code overlap, so OO will benefit from a lot of the work that went into OF.)

In any case, a totally understandable frustration; just wanted to provide a bit of explanation as to why it's taken so long. :-)
Hi Brian,

I know we are sounding like a broken record, and I know you guys said you don't want to tell us what the date is because you don't want to disappoint us... but can you please give us some sort of estimate about when OO4 and OO for ipad will be out? For my own purposes, I need to know whether I can wait it out or I need to abandon OO and find another program that works on the ipad.

I'm not looking for anything specific, but some kind of estimate: Is it a few weeks? Are we talking months? The end of the year? Next year??

Thanks!

P.S. Yes, I did just register to post this, but that doesn't mean I haven't been using OO and lurking here for a while, I REALLY can't wait to see what you guys do with OO4 and the iPad version!