The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Dynamically "Assigned Amount" Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
So I have a number of tasks with different priorities, some of which our people can only work on part of the time due to external constraints. Now the problem I have is that if someone is working on a task where they have, lets say, a 25% assigned amount, unless they have another task that is explictly set for them to work on 75% or less assigned amount, it won't overlap the tasks and they end up going under utilized. Instead, I would want the next task they have (at 100%) to overlap, and just take 33% longer.

The attached project is a basic two task project that illustrates this: why wait for Task 1 to complete before starting Task 2 when Task 1 is only taking 25% of their time? Now, if Task 2 is started at the same time as Task 1, I expect it will take 1 1/3 days instead of just 1, which is fine. Now, I understand that some tasks might need to be worked on 100% of the time until finished, but rather than 100%, so I want a way to set the Assigned Amount to Dynamic to basically use whatever spare cycles I can get from a resource. Am I completely missing something, or is this a feature request?

Please note that going through and manually setting all the assigned amounts to compress things together manually isn't a tractable solution, as I'm dealing with over 600 tasks in a dynamic environment where many things get done early and others late, and with all the schedule dependencies, this is going to cause constant shifting and releveling.

TIA,
Terry
Attached Files
File Type: zip DurationTest.omniplan.zip (21.8 KB, 598 views)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drzow View Post
I want a way to set the Assigned Amount to Dynamic to basically use whatever spare cycles I can get from a resource. Am I completely missing something, or is this a feature request?
This is a definitely a feature request. I'll write this up in our development database for consideration. Thanks!