The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iCloud? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is there any iCloud capability with OO3? Or do we need to wait for OO4?

We're working on adding iCloud support to all our document-based apps (Outliner, Graffle, GraphSketcher, and Plan) but the specific details aren't fully fleshed out. Once we know more, we'll definitely let folks know about it...

Hi Brian,

I would vote to add OmniFocus to the mix for iCloud support as well. It obviously would make task management very easy to manage across the multiple machines.

In any case, Omni Sync Server works great.

-Matt

Last edited by vitalmomentum; 2011-10-15 at 04:55 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalmomentum View Post
Hi Brian,
I would vote to add OmniFocus to the mix for iCloud support as well. It obviously would make task management very easy to manage across the multiple machines.
-Matt
OF has a very sophisticated custom sync mechanism that was designed to sit on a dumb file system (local or remote, like WebDAV). The only time I've ever had problems with it is when I've had iDisk syncing turned on and the two sync mechanisms fight.

I don't know enough about iCloud internals to know if a complete redesign would be required to make OF use it, but I wouldn't be surprised - and then that solution would ONLY work with iCloud or Omni would have to support two sync schemes.

It's a shame (and quite strange) that apple aren't keeping a straight forward WebDAV service as part of iCloud - but the Omni one works well and is free for now.

Now that I have seen how iCloud document support works (or doesn't as the case may be) I would really rather have Dropbox support built into OO4 and iOS.

Or maybe Omni can figure out a way to make iCloud docs work better than Apple can - I wouldn't be surprised.

I am a bit surprised that there was nothing ready to roll when the OS came out -- would have been good to take advantage of it. Then again I don't know of anything that is, so the beta/APIs may not have been enough to work with to solve this in a few months.

Updates about the status of this would be helpful since most of us are using a patched together system to keep things in sync, and I have given up on iOS syncing of Omni docs other than OF until its straightened out.

iCloud deleted many peoples documents by simply syncing. Not even MobileMe did that! Oh yes and, since ios5, exchange push does not work correctly anymore for many people. Rumours are tha has to do with iCloud.

iCloud won't really help most of us. We're looking for a transparent syncing mechanism between ipad and mac. If such a thing exists, apple isn't showing it to us yet.

I'd rather have dropbox support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamnoir View Post
iCloud won't really help most of us. We're looking for a transparent syncing mechanism between ipad and mac. If such a thing exists, apple isn't showing it to us yet.

How does iCloud differ from a transparent syncing mechanism?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamnoir View Post

iCloud does this. It already syncs transparently between Mac and iOS devices. However, applications must support it, and given it's "sandboxed" you need both a Mac and an iOS client. Omni Group is heading this direction, as I understand it from their posts.

You can do it today from Good Reader on iOS, and save or copy PDFs to the correct location. Given though the location is deep down in your ~/Library directory, most people haven't found where it is.

After switching from MM to the OmniSync server (and its improvements over the last weeks), I regard that as a perfect replacement for any Dropbox/Googlewhatever/Cloud server thing. OF and OP work great with it. I wolud even recommend it if it were a service I had to pay for.