The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniOutliner 4 - Release Date? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

I know the team is most probably working hard on OmniOutliner 4, but I would like to point out why some people are really hoping to get a new version soon.

Right now, there is no note taking app for Mac with a mobile client that fulfils the requirements of knowledge based notetaking as an outliner app would solve the problem.

Of course, there is Evernote. Evernote is nice. There is an app for mobile clients and you can sync your notes. But there is no real structure in Evernote. Evernote is working nice, if you have a journal, but you can't really use it for knowledgebased notes. (See also http://www.onenotereview.com/evernote-vs-onenote).

On a Mac, an outliner solves this problem of knowledge based notes. But with OmniOutliner 3, you miss the sync. That's why OmniOutliner 3 is no real solution, if you want to sync your documents to your mobile client.

Most other notetaking apps are lacking a good app for mobile clients too by the way.

If you want to use knowledge based notetaking apps right now, you probably have to install MS OneNote. This means getting the OneNote iPhone Client and to install Parallels, Windows and Office on your Mac. This will cost you around 400 Euros and I think it is a little bit complicated for just a notetaking app.

With the emerging marked of cloud applications, many people are really waiting for a good notetaking apps to emerge that could replace OneNote and they would be willing also to pay for it. OmniOutliner 4 could be exactly the product we all are waiting for. Now more than ever!

So why do I think a lot of people would trust OmniGroup. My answer is simple: Just have a look on the existing apps. If a company can create apps such as OmniFocus with such a brilliant iPad app then this company can create a sophisticated solution for notetaking with mobile sync too.

My question to the team is: As someone who loves OmniGroup products, when does OmniOutliner 4 will be released. We all are waiting for this product to come :)

Stefan

Stefan, a question:

if Omni knew when they were going to release it, but had for some reason chosen not to share this information (and don't you think they would like to be able to say when it is going to be?), why do you think they would then reveal that information to you, simply because you asked nicely? As I look at it, the lack of an answer means either a) we just don't know, or b) we have business reasons for not making a prediction, or c) all of the above. Note the absence of d) we're just waiting for someone to ask :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Stefan, a question:

if Omni knew when they were going to release it, but had for some reason chosen not to share this information (and don't you think they would like to be able to say when it is going to be?), why do you think they would then reveal that information to you, simply because you asked nicely? As I look at it, the lack of an answer means either a) we just don't know, or b) we have business reasons for not making a prediction, or c) all of the above. Note the absence of d) we're just waiting for someone to ask :-)
Sometimes it is worth trying ;)

The worst thing that can happen is to get no answer or just an answer that they can't comment on this question. :)

Stefan

We don't yet know how long the remaining work on OmniOutliner 4 will take to complete. Once we know that, we'll be able to tell folks when the app will ship. :-)

I am really looking forward to this release (whenever it is). OO is probably 80% of my computer use (I am in law school). Hopefully the the underlining "feature" is changed or changeable.

Also looking forward to this release. OO was one of the deciding factors when I moved from Windows to OS X. It's nice to have it running on my iPad, but sometimes it's hard for me to believe that I'm still using the same basic Mac version as that I used seven years ago....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
Also looking forward to this release. OO was one of the deciding factors when I moved from Windows to OS X. It's nice to have it running on my iPad, but sometimes it's hard for me to believe that I'm still using the same basic Mac version as that I used seven years ago....
omni has a growing reputation as a slow developer. it's quite amazing following the various management comments - sometimes going back 2, 3 or more years - about how work is already completed, or well into development on the various product version upgrades...

i wonder if they use their own products for workflow management. could explain a few things - they're not the most integrated set of tools on the planet. and still... here we are, omnifans. i despair sometimes. welcome to the omnivoid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elektroglide View Post

i wonder if they use their own products for workflow management. could explain a few things - they're not the most integrated set of tools on the planet. and still... here we are, omnifans. i despair sometimes. welcome to the omnivoid.
Well, it is not Omnis fault that we are sometimes just hyped by any new fancy stuff that gets released before anybody ever imagined what and how this stuff could be used.
Sometimes at work you don't have time to play around with glitzy software, but you just have to use the right tool - the one you know, you trust, and you are efficient with. That's a secret of productivity.
Take your time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbo View Post
Well, it is not Omnis fault that we are sometimes just hyped by any new fancy stuff that gets released before anybody ever imagined what and how this stuff could be used.
Sometimes at work you don't have time to play around with glitzy software, but you just have to use the right tool - the one you know, you trust, and you are efficient with. That's a secret of productivity.
Take your time.
Sometimes there is an application, however, that you know, you trust, and that you are efficient with but it lacks features you know could be used effectively. That is exactly the OP's situation (and I imagine quite a few other people's). And when this is the case, the sooner the feature is released, the sooner the user can be more efficient. In other words: Omni take your time to make it right but the sooner you finish, the sooner your user's can be more productive (and not waste time on forums looking for a hope that the product they have grown to love is making meaningful progress).

Quote:
Originally Posted by elektroglide View Post
omni has a growing reputation as a slow developer. it's quite amazing following the various management comments - sometimes going back 2, 3 or more years - about how work is already completed, or well into development on the various product version upgrades...

You may have a point here—some of the Omni software may feel overdue for an update—but I very much appreciate the company's commitment to quality. I wish Apple itself had a similar kind of commitment, for example, considering how half-baked and beta-ish so much of their released software is. A very large percentage of MacOS users wait until version x.4 or x.5 before upgrading (and much as an OS is immensely more complex a project that a task manager or an outliner, the comparison is valid in terms of priorities). From widespread WiFi issues in Lion to battery issues with iOS 5—not to mention the MobileMe blunder when it was first released—they all too often seem to release things even if they are blatantly immature. Not so with Omni. Maybe it is a matter of competitive pressures—Omni does not have Google or Microsoft to compete against—but at any rate I appreciate the emphasis on rock-solid stability, much as I am eagerly looking to OmniOutliner 4 myself.

Last edited by macula; 2011-12-04 at 08:26 PM..