The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How do I create a hyperlink Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I cannot find anywhere in the manual or in the UI where I can create a hyperlink in the text of a row.

I'm looking at the Welcome.oo3 that pops up on the first launch of OO3 and it has several hyperlinks in it. One hyperlink is around text to the online user manual at OmniGroup and another hyperlink is around the web image on the bottom right of the Welcome.oo3.

I need to be able to embed both kinds of links but I don't see anything about that. I've searched for "hyperlink" in the OO3 user manual and it comes up dry.

Another oddity is if I export the Welcome page to HTML, the links come out fine in the HTML. But if I drag and drop a link from my Safari into OO3 content, if I'm in OO3 I can click the link and it jumps to the page, but if I export the content, the link is not exported - just plain text.

Anyway, what major inspector or feature am I not seeing that would let me embed a hyperlink in my OO3 page just like the Welcome page has?

It sounds like you have the auto attachment from typed URLs option turned off. Go to OmniOutliner -> Preferences -> General tab and check 'Automatically create attachments from typed URLs'. Let me know if that doesn't fix this.

Thanks a lot for the reply. Indeed the create attachments checkbox was unchecked. After I checked it I could drag the link into my content and it exported fine. So, that definitely solved one problem I was having.

I still could not figure out how to get an existing graphic to be hyperlinked. Similar to the welcome page of OO3, I want to click on the graphic and have it jump to a URL...exported as well.

Any further tips on that technique would be very much appreciated.

That's not possible unfortunately. The way links are handled handled right now doesn't allow an image to be a hyperlink. I do believe we have plans for this in OO4.

The welcome file simply has the attachment tags turned off so clicking on it brings up the attachment. It doesn't actually have a hyperlink associated with it.

Could I make a request? Please index this under "hyperlink" in the help files. I was struggling this morning trying to get OO to display the straight text of a hyperlink rather than the attachment. Why? Because nowhere in the help files does the term "hyperlink" appear. As a relatively new user who's not already keyed in to OmniOutliner's jargon, I see this -- in word processing terms -- as automatically formatting hyperlinks.

The learning curve for getting this program to format documents is higher than almost anything I can think of in nearly 30 years of using Apple computers & gaps in the help files don't make it any easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derick View Post
Could I make a request? Please index this under "hyperlink" in the help files. I was struggling this morning trying to get OO to display the straight text of a hyperlink rather than the attachment. Why? Because nowhere in the help files does the term "hyperlink" appear. As a relatively new user who's not already keyed in to OmniOutliner's jargon, I see this -- in word processing terms -- as automatically formatting hyperlinks.

The learning curve for getting this program to format documents is higher than almost anything I can think of in nearly 30 years of using Apple computers & gaps in the help files don't make it any easier.
I just wanted to second this.

Is it possible to highlight a piece of text and make it a hyperlink, like you can do in OSX MAIL?

Your ability to export an HTML unordered list is great but I need to export all the text as hyperlinks. And I'm not sure how to do that.

(I'm importing into a CSS program. )

Was there ever an answer to landon's question?

Yes, if you have your preferences set so that typing a URL does not make it into an attachment ("Automatically create attachment from typed URLs" in the General tab is unchecked), you can select a URL in the text, control-click on it, and choose "Make Link" from the resulting popup menu. You can also edit the link similarly. If you need to make a document that has both styles of URL, you just set the preference back and forth as needed while constructing it.

Thanks for the info, but this isn't working for me.

It seems you can only create a link from a piece of text that's in URL format. That's frustrating and kind of ridiculous. I mean, when I think of creating a *link*, I think of attaching a URL to a piece of text. Am I missing something?

Look at this page. It's full of links but none of them are in URL format. And that's the case with most link content you find on the Web.

If OSX Mail can do this easily enough, I hope they can implement this function OO.

Last edited by JimmyMcVideo; 2010-04-19 at 03:36 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Yes, if you have your preferences set so that typing a URL does not make it into an attachment ("Automatically create attachment from typed URLs" in the General tab is unchecked), you can select a URL in the text, control-click on it, and choose "Make Link" from the resulting popup menu. You can also edit the link similarly. If you need to make a document that has both styles of URL, you just set the preference back and forth as needed while constructing it.
When I type a URL that does not begin with "http://" (eg. papers://blahblah), it is not recognized as a URL.

However, when I select this kind of URL, I can transform it into a link, using "Make Link". But it forces me to use a mouse to do this.

Any idea to perform this action ? (Using an applescript maybe ? I have checked the applescript dictionary of OO, but i did not found the "link" keyword...)