The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Can't spell-check in Gmail Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Posted this is the bug report section but havant got a response (and only 11 reads) since this is rather important to me I though I would post it here.

It seems to be impossible to spell-check mails in Gmail using Omniweb. Omniweb itself does not seem to recognise spelling within Gmails fields and Gmails spell-check while underlining misspelled words does not offer suggestions when you click on them

Being dyslexic being able to spell-check my emails is quite important to me.

Thanks.

(What an appalling interface Gmail is...) anyway, a quick test shows that you can check your spellings (using the Gmail interface but not the in-built OS X system) and get corrections suggested, but only if your message is in plain text format:

However, if it is in rich text format (which appears to be the default), incorrectly spelt words are highlighted, but no suggested corrections are presented when you click the word:

The equivalent version of WebKit that OmniWeb is using also suffers the same problem. The current release of Safari only supports plain text entry and therefore works for spelling checks (though the OS X service is also supported for some reason whereas it isn't in later versions of WebKit). Therefore, since the version that Safari is currently based on, something has changed in WebKit that enables it to support rich text entry, but not the spelling feature of Gmail.

The solution, therefore, is to convert to plain text entry if you wish to continue using OmniWeb. Personally, I would avoid using a browser altogether and set up Mail as your Gmail client, but that is me ;)

In text fields you can also right click and select "spelling" > "check spelling as you type."

Normally I don't use Gmail from within a browser, but just checked it before posting to make sure it works. No problems. Maybe this isn't what you're looking for exactly, however.

Unfortunately, Gmail does not work optimally with OW.

The OS X service to check spelling doesn't work in the Gmail text input field when it is set to rich text formatting. It only works when in plain text entry mode.

Thanks for the clarification.

Now, "I want my money back"! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daiyi666@yahoo.com
In text fields you can also right click and select "spelling" > "check spelling as you type."

Normally I don't use Gmail from within a browser, but just checked it before posting to make sure it works. No problems. Maybe this isn't what you're looking for exactly, however.

Unfortunately, Gmail does not work optimally with OW.
Do you think that is likely to change?

It is as likely to change for OmniWeb as it is for Safari. I've just tested the latest nightly build of WebKit and the Gmail spelling check is now working in the rich text formatting field, so OmniWeb should inherit the fix at some point... hopefully in the next version that includes an upgraded WebKit.

However, the OS X service still doesn't work properly - the word will be marked as mis-spelt, but no corrections are suggested when you control-click it.