The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prevent hiding tasks upon completion in Context view? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is there any way to stop OF from instantly hiding any task I check off as completed while in Context view? I have completed items showing in Project view, but it doesn’t look like that’s possible to do in Context view. It’s pretty irritating because, among other things, it’s far too easy to accidentally check off an item only to have it instantly vanish. Doing that by mistake means having to find that item in Project view so you can un-check it again. That can be a pain if you aren’t sure what you accidentally checked off. Besides, I just like to see the items I’ve completed.

Thanks for any help :)

Erik

Just in case it helps, you can enable Undo support in settings, then recover from an accidental completion by shaking the phone...

Thanks for the note, Brian. Good point. I hadn’t really thought about that. I’d still like to be able to check off items in Context view and not have them instantly vanish :)

I’m sure that there’s a reason for this behavior. Maybe if I knew what it was I could wrap my head around it and learn to love it.

Erik

Screen space is at a premium, and most users want to see the actions they have left to do, not the ones they've completed.

I have a context mode perspective that shows stuff that I've marked completed, grouped by completion date, sorted by project, so it is easy to quickly check if I've "completed" anything that I didn't really do. Do you also have the Mac version of OmniFocus? Unfortunately, there's no support yet for creating perspectives on the iPhone, but I can help you add perspectives if you don't have access to a Mac.

Thanks for the reply. I do in fact have the Mac version of OF. I’ve actually had it since it was first released but have only recently switched back to it from Things. This time around, I feel like I’m finally *getting* it and I’m trying to learn OF for what it is and not trying to make it act like Things.

I’ll set up a Perspective like the one you described and sync that over. Hopefully that, combined with undo, will make me a little bit happier. Honestly, I only use OF on the iPhone when I’m shopping and for entering tasks and ideas on the go. So I’ll probably survive with OF acting the way it does on my iPhone. It’s still annoying and wish it acted exactly how I wanted it to. But nothing’s perfect.

Thanks,
Erik