The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus horribly slow with big db Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I paired down everything I could and it is still taking 3-5 seconds to load. It is hard using OFI as a "trusted source" at this point.

BZ

I've just started using both iPhone & desktop OmniFocus.

When I only had a few items in the database, the iPhone version took quite a while for the database to load upon startup.

Last Friday, I entered in a ton of new actions and contexts on the desktop side.

Instead of syncing the iPhone I deleted the program on the phone, allowed iTunes to reinstall the app, and reset the settings, downloading the whole database fresh.

The iPhone now launches much quicker than before.

So, uninstalling and reinstalling the app could help in this situation (assuming you're working with synced data)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwanaZulia View Post
I paired down everything I could and it is still taking 3-5 seconds to load. It is hard using OFI as a "trusted source" at this point.

BZ
Wait... 3 to 5 seconds?

That doesn't sound so bad.

Either you meant to say minutes, not seconds, or you really need to learn patience.

3 to 5 seconds can be frustrating when you're waiting to write down that genius idea you just had. We do plan to continue to improve the performance and have ideas about how to do so as soon as we get through fixing a few more urgent issues.

3-5 seconds is the fastest. I have also waited MINUTES.

To be clear, of the 30-40 applications I have on the iPhone it is the slowest by far.

Maybe Cro Mag rally loads a little slower but it is a 58 MB game.

And yes, 3-5 seconds is WAY TO LONG for a to do application. Ubiquitous capture that isn't.

BZ

3 -5 seconds isn't that bad for me...

However, don't assume because your have very few actions, less than 30 or 50 that your DB is small in size. Check the size and see. My DB has less than 30 actions right now and is growing by the minute it seems. It is at 360 KB. When it should be a lot less.

I was excited to try out OF 1.1 and the OF for iPhone. I just completely optimized everything last night and now have a start up time of a few seconds, but more importantly syncing takes a <15 seconds now.

I used the new "Move old data to Archive" option to move all of the older stuff to an archive in the File menu. But since I had already synced previously with my 700K db, it was always syncing against that. I think it needs to be purged to work effectively, despite the data being moved to the archive.

So on my MobileMe account I deleted my filename.ofocus document on the iDisk. The new file on the server was 24K. (!) I deleted the database from my iPhone, and then resynced. Success! It synced within seconds, and is infinitely more responsive with the 24K ofocus document in my MobileMe account as opposed to the 700K+ file that was there previously.

Hope this helps

Jones
ichibod.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
3 to 5 seconds can be frustrating when you're waiting to write down that genius idea you just had. We do plan to continue to improve the performance and have ideas about how to do so as soon as we get through fixing a few more urgent issues.
thanks Lizard for acknowledging this. I stopped using OF on my iPhone due to performance reasons - for the record, my db is 2.4MB and I've already pruned it.

how is performance tuning coming along? It's been a bit over a month since you made this post and notice 1.1 is still in alpha (which is still rather surprising to be honest)

While I'm not too much in favor of having another app on my iPhone - it would be great if perhaps as a workaround, there was a "OmniFocus Quick Entry" app. Most of the time I am on the go - I don't need to have the whole db loaded and realizing I often don't even need my db for reference. I've resorted to good ole Notes and emailing them at the end of the day but even this is at risk for being forgotten so do consider the "Quick Entry" use case please.

The only long-term solution I can think of it to go the direction I think Steve Jobs wants you guys to go in from the beginning and it's to have a clever web-based app and keep all the data in "the cloud" where it belongs! Of course there are pros and cons but I, for one, would be willing to have you invest my $20 to go in this direction!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichibod View Post
I was excited to try out OF 1.1 and the OF for iPhone. I just completely optimized everything last night and now have a start up time of a few seconds, but more importantly syncing takes a <15 seconds now.

I used the new "Move old data to Archive" option to move all of the older stuff to an archive in the File menu. But since I had already synced previously with my 700K db, it was always syncing against that. I think it needs to be purged to work effectively, despite the data being moved to the archive.

So on my MobileMe account I deleted my filename.ofocus document on the iDisk. The new file on the server was 24K. (!) I deleted the database from my iPhone, and then resynced. Success! It synced within seconds, and is infinitely more responsive with the 24K ofocus document in my MobileMe account as opposed to the 700K+ file that was there previously.

Hope this helps

Jones
ichibod.com
That's good info, but the problem is going to keep coming back. Hopefully Omni will find a way to make it faster without having our having to keep on manually deleting our databases.