The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Event-Triggered Action Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have a single action that cannot be done until after an event occurs. I don't know when that event will occur. Yet, the action is essential and, after the event has occurred, will be urgent. I don't want it in my face every day while I wait for an event that may not occur for a month, but neither do I want it buried in my huge list of Someday/Maybe actions. What's the best way to handle this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp1 View Post
I have a single action that cannot be done until after an event occurs. I don't know when that event will occur. Yet, the action is essential and, after the event has occurred, will be urgent. I don't want it in my face every day while I wait for an event that may not occur for a month, but neither do I want it buried in my huge list of Someday/Maybe actions. What's the best way to handle this?
Set a flag on it, make the tasks sequential, and use the "flagged list" for essential items, is one way. Only way I can really think of, as you can't auto-set a due date (well, maybe you can with a script, but that's beyond my expertise).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatOne View Post
Set a flag on it, make the tasks sequential, and use the "flagged list" for essential items, is one way. Only way I can really think of, as you can't auto-set a due date (well, maybe you can with a script, but that's beyond my expertise).
Thanks, CatOne. Unfortunately, that particular option would require other changes to my procedure. In my setup, a flag means "You don't sleep tonight until this is done."

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp1 View Post
Add a context called "Waiting for". Create a sequential project with two actions: the event and the followup. Assign the event to the "Waiting for" context. When it happens, mark it done; then the followup will show up in its context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete340 View Post
Add a context called "Waiting for". Create a sequential project with two actions: the event and the followup. Assign the event to the "Waiting for" context. When it happens, mark it done; then the followup will show up in its context.
I'll experiment with this. Thanks, Pete.