The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Development Suggestion Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am not sure how to make a future development suggestion so I decided to post it here. One thing that I would find EXTREMELY useful is the ability to control what Contexts get synced to the iPhone application. If we could select which context got synced then I think it would speed up the synchronization and filter out any contexts that couldn't be dealt with away from the computer. Something similar to this already exists in your iCal sync setup.

In my specific case I manage quite a few projects and like to keep emails and info associated with the project inside of OmniFocus. I put then in a context called information. A process I learned from John Kendrick's Weblog (A Great Tutorial on implementing OmniFocus). I would like to be able to not include the information context when syncing to the iphone as it contains 100's of tasks that are just info.

Just a thought... and thanks for a GREAT application.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjlemonier View Post
I am not sure how to make a future development suggestion so I decided to post it here.
Best way to make a request is to use Help->Send Feedback (desktop app), or Send Feedback (Settings page of iPhone app). Forum postings are okay for getting other users excited about your idea, but there's no guarantee that Omni will see any given post or thread, and prioritization happens based on votes in their database (which come from email or phone calls, not forum posts).

As for your suggestion of partial syncing, one advantage of the current system is that each device has a complete copy of the database, and can reconstitute it for the other device(s) if they lose their copy. Obviously, that's not going to be true if you don't sync the whole thing. Also, what do you do when you want to actually look at some of that project information and you've only got the low-fat version of your database because you are on your iPhone? Yes, you could try to guess in advance what you might need to see, and put it in a different context that you did sync, but if you're that good at predicting future events, there are some business propositions we ought to discuss :)

Agreed, I often use my phone to rearrange tasks that I have to do when I get back to the office or home, so even though I might not act on those contexts, I like having them available. In reality, syncing is pretty quick, especially if you just leave OmniFocus running on your Mac, so it syncs every hour.