The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > Developer > Omni Frameworks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Assertion exceptions Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
My application's response to assertion failures has changed recently, and I'm reasonably sure that the change started when I added Omni frameworks.

Instead of invoking the debugger, a beautifully formatted notice appears in the console, showing the assertion error, the object, line number, stack trace, and other useful information. However, I'd really prefer to be in the debugger, so that I could examine what's happening at the point of failure.

Is this new behavior a result of adding the Omni frameworks? And if so, how can I restore the original behavior?

Yes; if you use OFController, by default it gets set up as the NSExceptionHandler delegate and the main-thread's NSAssertionHandler.

If you'd like to avoid this, you can modify -[OFController init] to suite your needs. Alternatively, you can just set breakpoints OBAssertFailed. This should get called as part of the NSAssertionHandler path as well as the OmniBase assertions.

For example, if you search for "handleFailureInMethod:" in OFController.m, you'll see it format up the message and then call OBAssertFailed, of if your OFController subclass specifies it, crash immediately.