The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Diagram styles confuse me! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm probably reading this all wrong but I'm trying to create a way of getting my outline lesson plans into a more "PC orientated" grid. We usually use Word boxes/tables but I want to do it in OG from my OOPro outlines. My outline follows this pattern:
Title
Objectives
---How Science Works
---Ideas
Resources
Starter Activity
---Instructions
---Ideas
---Etc
Main
---Instructions
---Ideas
---Etc
Finisher
---Instructions
---Ideas
---Etc

Then I want to add a few other boxes for other stuff.

I was thinking that if I set up a graffled document style it would take my outline and drop it into the correct boxes. But it doesn't. I have tried every which way. When I move a box, the outline object wanders down the list. I get lines everywhere. It always ends up as the default "basic", even with the boxes unchecked.

Is what I'm doing impossible?

Please see attached file for an idea of what I'm trying to achieve
Attached Files
File Type: zip Plan.graffle.zip (12.6 KB, 896 views)

I'm afraid that the problem here is that OmniGraffle's layout engine just isn't capable of a diagram layout like the one you have here -- It can do hierarchical and force-directed or web layouts, but this kind of set/subset layout won't be able to automatically lay out as shown in your file.

I really like that style, we're thinking of adding the ability for more different layouts in the future, so I'd like to add this one to the mix, that okay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel
I really like that style, we're thinking of adding the ability for more different layouts in the future, so I'd like to add this one to the mix, that okay?
Of course you can! (I will get a discount on the upgrade price, naturally? :p !)
The ability to produce mind maps from outlines would also be a nice touch!

Any news in this topic?

BTW: This is my first post here so warm welcome for you all :)

Last edited by imacuser; 2006-10-16 at 07:57 AM..