The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Anyone using Novamind? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I love OOPro to bits, but I also want to convert back and forth between mind maps. I tried Mindmanager and was impressed by its linking via applescript. However it is pricey, and way behind the PC version

I also use Inspiration which is great for school and basic stuff, but the swapping back and forth needs work.

I bought Omnigraffle thinking this might be a solution ... not out of the box it isn't, but I still think it's great - Don't you just love telling PC users that your fantastic layout was done in something available to Macs only!

So, to my question. Do you use Nova Mind? To me it looks OK, but there is no visible forum or such like. Has anyone gone beyond the basics and used scripting to do new and wonderful things. Even at full price it is cheaper than MM6 with Education discount ... so I am sorely tempted!

(Just don't mention ConceptDraw MindMap!)

Thanks

I haven't gone beyond the basics, as you say, but I use NovaMind quite happily. It is at its best as an elegant brainstorm capture tool. I find that I use it at the beginning of a project (like brainstorming a research paper - I'm a professor) and then export the results to OOPro for refinement. I don't 'go back and forth', so I can't speak to how well it roundtrips.

I use OmniGraffle as a mindmap software when I want to produce nice looking mind maps. Using the drawer with the outline function and automatic layout makes it as fast as a dedicated mindmap software to build the tree. Then a bit of manual re-arrangements are necessary to make it look like a "true" mindmap. The advantage is tahe the graphic capabilities are far better than the specific mindmap softwares, so based on a mindmap you can produce a better and richer graph. :)

Novamind is a mindmap software with some graphic capabilities. But if you look for the reference in terms of mindmapping, I believe Mindmanager is the one, in terms of functionalities, exchanges with other apps, Windows/ Mac, free viewer...

A free and easy mindmap software is freemind, works on Mac and Windows :)
http://freemind.sourceforge.net/wiki....php/Main_Page

I personnaly believe that OmniGraffle could become an excellent mindmap software if the layout engine was improved, as well as the conversion back and forth with OmniOutliner. I wrote about it to the OmniGuys a couple of times. if you feel the same... tell them! ;)

Cheers

I'm a very new user of any Omni software, and I've only been on Apple for 18 months.

I purchased OmniGraffle a few weeks ago for visually laying out my thoughts, and for others to see as well.

I've been using SOHO Organizer and Notes. I like both very much. However, I'm always looking for that next great app. I've been trying DEVONThink, but it did nothing for me that SOHO Notes didn't already do easier.

During the looking around process I saw OmniOutliner mentioned often, so I had a look at it as well. I still prefer SOHO Notes.

That being said, I was hoping that OO might have had some of the OmniGraffle effects incorporated. I hope that OO 4.0 might just do that, or simply hook right into OmniGraffle.

So far I've bought OmniGraffle and OmniWeb. Absolutely love OmniWeb. Been using less than a week. Keep up the great work and OmniOutliner could be next.

mymind is a pretty decent freeware mindmapper that allows you to quickly set everything up via a tree structure. Personally, I would prefer Freemind but for the fact that it takes forever to start up on my 1 year old ibook with 1 gig of ram:rolleyes: