The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ref ticket #313547: OmniFocus crashes on remote sync Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I posted this request on 22 July, and have received no response other than the automated acknowledgment. Over the course of several days, I have done further investigation, providing detailed updates. Below is a summary of my submissions so far.

***22 July***
I have synced my OF DB from v1.1 revision 103085 to my home WebDAV server, but cannot load that data from my iPhone version of OF. When connecting, I get the "loading" progress bar, which advances to about the three-quarter mark before OF quits back to the SpringBoard.

I have tried rebuilding my DB in OF for Mac, then re-syncing; I have tried deleting OF from my iPhone and re-downloading. Either way, I still get the same dose of Fail. :-(

This is an original iPhone, hacked to buggery with Pwnage; I mention this because I have ssh access and can grab some information that way if it will help you isolate anything. My OF DB is about 912KB, according to my latest backup.

***Later that day***
Just an update. I upgraded to the latest version of OmniFocus from the AppStore, and while the loading bar now progresses much more quickly, it still quits out about three-quarters of the way through.

***Even later***
Okay, I know you guys are busy, and it's not even morning where you are right now, but I'm eager to get going on my syncing. So I signed up for a 60-day trial of me.com and set up OmniFocus Mac and iPhone to use it. Nevertheless, I get the same failure: fill in my authentication details on the iPhone and then it tries to sync the OF database; gets three-quarters through, then quits to Springboard. All subsequent attempts at syncing fail similarly.

I'm very interested in your feedback on this.

***23 July***
Okay, I know you guys're busy, but I'm getting a bit frustrated at the lack of response, and my own inability to resolve the issue. Please find attached a tarball of all the crash logs from my iPhone. I hope they're helpful.
It's now 26 July. This is pretty much where I've given up. I don't like sending support spam, so I'm sorry some of the details of the issue were scattered across multiple emails. I guess I sent my initial contact with the idea that it would initiate a dialogue between myself and OmniGroup, but that hasn't happened. Obviously I'm annoyed that an app I paid for doesn't work at all, but honestly, I spent more than the price of OmniFocus on a bad Indian dinner last night, so I'm not that bothered by the money — especially as I'm confident this issue can be resolved.

I'm more frustrated by the feeling that I’ve done as much as I can to resolve the issue myself, and to provide useful information to OG for their ninjas to resolve it, but I'm still no further along.

I did the right thing and sent email first. Maybe, in spite of the sticky at the top of the forum, I'll get a better response posting here.

Sorry for the delay! We've had many thousands of new customers start using OmniFocus over the last few weeks, and lots of them have had feedback for us, overwhelming our support ninjas: they were answering lots of messages each day, but it was like trying to swim upstream against a raging torrent—they were still falling behind about a hundred messages each day.

We had a brief all-company meeting a few days ago to try to figure out a solution, and people from every department offered to pitch in and help. We're making definite forward progress now—we've gone from a 1,200 message backlog to under 850—so hopefully we'll get to your messages soon!

As for the actual question in your message, that 75% mark is where we switch over from loading transactions to computing all the relationships between the tasks. Unfortunately, that process can be slow at the moment; we've thought of some performance improvements we could try to make, but decided it would be too destabilizing to introduce until we have time to test it carefully.

If it's actually exiting rather than just being slow, though, then that sounds like we might be running out of memory or hitting some sort of crashing bug in our loading code. Could you look for OmniFocus crash reports in your Library/Logs/CrashReporter/MobileDevice folder (after attaching your device to iTunes) and attach them to your ticket? That would be quite helpful!

Thanks!

Hi Ken,

OmniFocus crashes completely back to Springboard when trying to sync. There are no OmniFocus crash logs in ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/MobileDevice. I did previously send the crash logs I gathered from the iPhone itself, by connecting through ssh, to support. I can upload those here, if you want.