The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

1Password extension and Lion Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Thank you, Khad, for joining us in the OmniWeb forum. I'm encouraged by a vision of The Omni Group and AgileBits working together to bring the team of OmniWeb + 1Password to Lion.

Longtime OmniWeb users are a very loyal bunch ... like longtime Mac users.

That said, I must confess that during a weak moment, I did ask the question, is there An OmniWeb alternative for Lion? in this forum. The short answer is there's no satisfactory alternative for either OmniWeb or 1Password.

-- Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by khad View Post
This is likely a sign that Apple plans to phase this technology out, and soon, but is giving developers a little more time to make the transition. Because we're trying to standardize our extension experience across browsers and prepare for the future, we have already taken Apple's progressive philosophy to heart and are looking towards the future to create a better experience for all customers.
If Apple does deprecate Scripting Additions it is highly improbable they would do so during any 10.7.x release. Mid-release deprecation is extremely rare.

Thus, what you're really saying is that out of fear of a problem that is more than 1-2 years away (10.8), you have no plans to support current customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khad View Post
As for plans, all I can say is what our hopes are. We hope to restore support, either through Scripting Additions or through the new technology.

I really wish I could give you something more definitive at this point. There are scenarios in which restored support for OmniWeb could happen quickly and scenarios under which it takes considerable time. I just don't know how these will play out at this point.
More recent posts in that same thread from Dave Teare imply that you've simply stopped exploring options for OmniWeb entirely.

Axel

Last edited by Axxel; 2011-09-09 at 07:38 AM..

Quote:
If Apple does deprecate Scripting Additions it is highly improbable they would do so during any 10.7.x release. Mid-release deprecation is extremely rare.
It seems like a distant time and place, but we need to always be planning for the future and setting ourselves up for success earlier rather than later.

I always encourage folks to base their decisions on current shipping products not promises of future features or fixes.

If 1Password and/or OmniWeb meet your needs today, by all means keep using them. If not, perhaps they will someday, at which point you can revisit the decision. I just can't offer a time frame for anything specific, and I feel it would actually be a disservice to "string you along" with the promise of any feature without actually delivering it. I have not been using OmniWeb lately because 1Password is too important to me. (Some reasons for this may be obvious.) :-) But if that support is once again available in the future — whether through an OmniWeb extension API, changes Apple makes, some hard work and determination from AgileBits, or a combination thereof — I'll definitely be giving OmniWeb a closer look.

For now, I use what is available and suits my workflow, but I still miss OmniWeb.

--
Khad Young
Forum Choreographer, AgileBits
http://forum.agilebits.com/

I've read every message in this thread. And, I might add, every message in many threads on other forums. I'm left wondering WTF?

Does anyone know what's going on? I also use FireFox. (Hey, cut me some slack. I test stuff I'm doing on various browsers to check compatibility.) I see the same narrative everywhere.

Is Apple trying to use semi-proprietary technology to squeeze out competing browsers? not directly, but by imposing unsurmountable development demands?

Say it ain't so, Steve! Oh. Sorry. I was thinking of Wozniak, not Jobs.

Does anyone have a clue what the deal is? Anyone who can give us a hint without being smashed by an avalanche of lawyers shaped like McIntosh apples? (Picture that in your imagination!)

For those who haven't been paying close attention, here's the background:

Apple is trying to make Safari more secure, so they've created a sandbox for browser extensions written in JavaScript—very similar to the extension mechanisms for Firefox and Chrome. AgileBits has rebuilt their 1Password browser extension using this approach, and they've got it working in those three browsers.

OmniWeb supports several mechanisms for extending the browser (some dating back to the mid-'90s), and those mechanisms still work—but none of them are JavaScript-based, so they're not compatible with this new 1Password browser extension. (Presumably, if you still have a copy of the older OmniWeb-compatible version of 1Password it would still work the same as it always did.)

So, how do we fix this?

Roustem (AgileBits' CEO) and I had a brief conversation last week about how we might get the latest 1Password working in OmniWeb, and it sounds like the easiest way would be for OmniWeb to implement the same sort of browser extension mechanism that Safari, Firefox, and Chrome have implemented. (That approach would have other benefits as well, potentially giving OmniWeb the ability to run other extensions.)

That seems like a reasonable approach to me, but we have a lot of higher priority projects on our plate at the moment (iCloud updates, OmniPlan for iPad, OmniOutliner 4, and a major update to OmniFocus) so I'm not sure how soon we'll be able to do that.

What can you do?

Keep letting us know this is important to you: that helps us decide where to put our resources. And please, don't blame Apple or AgileBits for making a very appropriate decision to implement a more secure system for browser extensions.

Last edited by Ken Case; 2011-09-12 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: removed a stray asterisk

I normally don't like to waste folks' time with simple "thanks" posts, but I really appreciate you posting that, Ken.

You guys are awesome. Keep doing what you do.

"Thanks!" :-)

I found this yesterday and wondered if it would be any good for those of you having problems with 1Password and Lion, at least until Omni have time to get something sorted.
It's called PassHash and can be found here http://connorhd.co.uk/
I know the site says its a Chrome extension but it also works anywhere on the web apparently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
What can you do?

Keep letting us know this is important to you: that helps us decide where to put our resources. And please, don't blame Apple or AgileBits for making a very appropriate decision to implement a more secure system for browser extensions.
Definitely a big Thank You for posting the status update. I'm as annoyed at myself as I am at anything else. I probably would have held off on the upgrade to Lion if I had checked on that as far as compatibility problems go (the sites I was checking listed both OmniWeb and 1Password as good to go on Lion, I just didn't expect a combination problem).

Since the one thing we can do is letting you know this is important: This is important for me.

I've had to return to my previous copy-paste mechanisms for dealing with web sites, which is particularly frustrating on those sites I use frequently but have 2 or even 3 logins I need to deal with over the course of the day. As I said in an earlier post, since there are alternatives for 1Password (the brute-force copy-paste methods), it loses since none of the other browsers are as comfortably capable as OmniWeb is.

Thank you for all the work you do on OmniWeb, but I do hope you find some time and resources to bump up the priority of developing a way that 1Password can work again.

Thanks Ken.

One more vote to add (well 3 if you count everyone in the house who uses Omniweb and 1Password). Over the years I've bought 14 licenses - various combinations of OmniWeb 4, OmniWeb 5 & family packs - more than happy to have a paid update again or at least some form of payment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
... more than happy to have a paid update again or at least some form of payment.
I've willingly paid for numerous OmniWeb licenses and I, too, would be happy to pay again.

A tip jar labeled "I really like OmniWeb" would be a way for OmniWeb fans to express our appreciation.

-- Ward