The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > Other Omni Software > OmniPresence
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sync between user accounts on one Mac Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I assume it makes no difference whether OmniPresence is syncing between different machines or between separate user accounts on one machine; it seems to work fine, but I just want to check that I'm not doing something stupid!

The reason is that I have separate user accounts on my Mac for work and personal stuff, including a couple of client-specific accounts. Anything which needs to be shared usually goes in a shared folder, but the ability to sync with iPad meant I switched quickly to using OmniPresence for my OmniOutliner files.

Syncing between different user accounts on one Mac and different Sync Server accounts also seems to be working fine.

So, is this a designed feature or something I should be wary of? It still seems to be working.

A shared folder is more efficient, of course (fewer copies of each file, no unnecessary bandwidth spent copying files that are already on your machine). But using OmniPresence to sync between user accounts on the same system should work just fine.

Thanks Ken, that's good to know. If it were just between user accounts on one machine then yes, a shared folder would save a modicum of bandwidth and disk space, but I also use OmniOutliner and OmniGraffle on iPad with separate OmniPresence accounts to sync to the different accounts on one Mac, which gives me nicely separated pegs for my several hats.

As an aside, the system you've built seems a lot more user-friendly than the document syncing in iCloud.