The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Newbie Setting Up Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi All,

I’m in the process of setting up my GTD system (using OmniFocus, iCal etc to do so), and am having some difficulty reconciling my current calendar system with the system I’ll have under GTD. I’m specifically getting ready to sync omnifocus with ical.

At present I have several calendars in iCal - they’re named after areas of my life (broad commitments or responsibilities), and include all of the projects & tasks I’ve got underway for each area.

Unfortunately, these calendars don’t correspond with the contexts I’ve set up!

I have a few contexts that relate to several calendars, and a few contexts that are relevant to one calendar.

I think what I need to do is ditch the calendars I currently have and re-allocate each task to projects that I create within GTD / OmniFocus.

I guess I’m reluctant to do that because I’m used to viewing tasks related to several projects that fall within one broader commitment all in one view. I know I can still view tasks by project within OmniFocus, however I don’t yet see how I can view several related projects within one view.

I’ve got a sneaking suspicion this hangup is probably why I’m not as productive as I could be!

Any feedback you might be able to provide will be greatly appreciated.

Andrew

If you command-click on several projects in the OmniFocus sidebar, then you can see all the actions within just those projects in the main window.

If you then choose "Focus on Selected Projects" from the View menu, it will hide all the other projects. This might be handy in the projects view, but its real strength is when you switch over to context view. Now you can see just the tasks for your selected projects, organized by what context they're in.

You might also find it helpful to group your projects into folders. Lots of people on this forum have mentioned that they have a "Work" folder and a "Home" folder, with several projects under each. Then you can just click on a single folder in the sidebar to see all its projects at once.

Thanks for your response Lizard, that will make the transition much easier. i'm in the process of creating projects around the tasks I have in my current calendar, and moving the migration forward. thanks again.