The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Measuring length and angle of lines? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi

This may be really obvious, but if so, I would still like to have it pointed out to me.

In the process of using OmniGraffle Pro 5.1.1 to create a layout of my living room, I would like to be able to measure lengths (especially) and angles (preferably) of lines and connectors. In this particular case, I would like to measure the distance and angle between specific objects (my speakers and listening position) as well as estimating cable run lengths for other purposes.

When I create ordinary shapes such as rectangles, OG provides me in Geometry Properties with data on position, width, length, and angle. However, when connecting objects, I cannot seem to find this information for the connecting line - the places in the Geometry Properties are blank. Is this information available elsewhere (and if so, where?) or not at all (and if so, why?)?

TIA.

Niels Olof

If you add a line label to the line (Option-double-click is the default in version 5), and then add a line length variable in that label (via the Edit Menu -> Insert Variable, or <%Length%>), you can get the length of the line.

Angle will be much harder as the angle of the line is set to zero degrees on creation of the line, so unless you make it perfectly horizontal or vertical using the Shift key when you create it, the Geometry Inspector won't give an absolute result.

Also, lines connecting shapes are more or less "immune" to the Geometry Inspector, so please keep that in mind.

Hope that helps,