The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

What happeneds when I archive completed projects... Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi everyone,

I am new to OmniFocus and love the application! Today I archived my completed items and that made me happy. But I realized a question that I am curious if the community has experience:

What happens when I:

1) create a project named "design new living room"
2) complete all of the actions
3) mark the project as completed
4) some day archive the project
5) create a new project with the same name
6) complete all of the actions
7) archive again

What happens? Does the archive contain two projects with the same name? Or does the archive merge them into one?

just curious,

nineboots

There's a hidden data field behind the scenes that serves to uniquely identify each project - that way, if you change the name, we still know it's the same project and not a new one that you've added.

Because of that hidden data field, the two projects will appear separately in the archive, even though they have the same name.

Just a word of warning: it works the same with contexts, too, and so it is possible to accidentally get more than one context with the same name. This can lead to confusion at times when you can't figure out why the action you just entered isn't showing up where you (thought you) put it! Guess how I know? :-)