The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Impossible to quit Omnifocus Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have been running Omnifocus 1.5 for some time on Leopard and now I have a problem: the only way to quit Omnifocus is to use the option 'Force quit' of Mac OS. There is now way of quitting it the right way. Do you have any idea of what the problem might be?

Thanks

Marco

How patient have you been about waiting for it to quit? How large is your database (look at recent backups to get a quick sense of this)?

If your database is bloated, OF can take ages to quit. There are several threads about getting databases down to size. (Syncing issue can cause a database to grow without bound.)

Curt

Curt,
thanks for your reply.
However, I do not think that this is the issue.
My database is less than 5 MB, I selected quit more than a minute ago and Omnifocus is still open

Unless you are adding attachments to your files, 5MB is actually very large for an OmniFocus database - normal sized would be tens to a few hundred kB at most.

Do you synch or have you synched multiple Macs and/or iPhones? If so, are some 'stale' - not synched for a long time?

Jonathan,
if you tell me that the database is large by Omnifocus standards, then my answer is that I do not know why it increased in size so much: I do not attach files (I just point to them) and I do not sync it with other devices.

So, obviously, your first move should be to contact the Omni Group; while you're waiting for them to respond, you might want to try the following:

1. Create a new User on your machine
2. Log into the new user and launch OmniFocus to create the appropriate folders in the new Library
3. Quit OmniFocus (cross fingers)
4. Replace the new OmniFocus database in the new Library with a copy of your original database
5. Launch again and see if the issues persists

If the issue persists, it may be that your OF database is corrupted *or* the actual OS has some corruption. If it doesn't persist, then you probably have damaged OmniFocus support files in your original User; in this case, you would delete everything but the database, and then relaunch.

Note: a less drastic, less thorough step to take would be to make a backup of your OF support files (prefs, items in ~/Library/Application Support folder), remove these from your Library, and repeat steps 4 and 5 above, substituting 'current Library' for 'new Library'.

Last edited by sfkeydel; 2009-01-16 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: Added less drastic option

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschwarz View Post
Jonathan,
if you tell me that the database is large by Omnifocus standards, then my answer is that I do not know why it increased in size so much: I do not attach files (I just point to them) and I do not sync it with other devices.
When my database was oversized, it took more than 30 seconds to quit on a very powerful machine.

Before taking the more dramatic options, try File -> Rebuild Database. You might also try the File --> Move Old Data to Archive.

That said, using Help --> Send Feedback to contact the support ninjas seems like a good approach.

Curt

I had the "exact" same problem. Couldnt' shutdown computer without force quitting omnifocus. I backed up the data and rebuilt the database and that seems to have fixed the problem... thanks!!