The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

outgoing mail.app message to omnifocus Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
What would be the best way to place an outgoing message into my omnifocus inbox or better, the quick entry window.

Here is the scenario:

I am emailing John and asking him to submit a report on August 15. Before I send the email, I would like to open the quick entry window and make the subject "follow up with John re: report" with a due date of 8/15. If on 8/15 I don't have the report, I would like to click a link that opens the email that I sent to John so I can forward my original message and ask for an update.

My current method is to send myself a BCC and then once I get the email use clip it into OmniFocus. What I don't like about this method is that I get an additional email.

Any thoughts on how to get this done?

Thanks,
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
What would be the best way to place an outgoing message into my omnifocus inbox or better, the quick entry window.

Here is the scenario:

I am emailing John and asking him to submit a report on August 15. Before I send the email, I would like to open the quick entry window and make the subject "follow up with John re: report" with a due date of 8/15. If on 8/15 I don't have the report, I would like to click a link that opens the email that I sent to John so I can forward my original message and ask for an update.

My current method is to send myself a BCC and then once I get the email use clip it into OmniFocus. What I don't like about this method is that I get an additional email.

Any thoughts on how to get this done?

Thanks,
Steve
Personally, I bcc: myself on every email anyway, and then I chuck sent messages. This is for other reasons: mainly that messages that are in your "sent" mailbox aren't stamped by a mail server and thus if you _ever_ transfer them to another mail client they will have their "sent" date reset to the date of the transfer. So for practical reasons, using bcc: and filing those messages, and cleaning out your sent messages folder on a daily or weekly basis, is a good practice.

So with that in mind, the method you are currently doing is pretty much exactly what I am doing. When I send the original email, I actually file it in a @waiting folder and clip the critical piece to OmniFocus. I guess that's a safety net; OF is so reliable that I wouldn't actually need the @waiting folder.

CatOne- thanks for the tip. I never really thought about bcc'ing myself on everything. Sometimes I'll send something from one computer but then it doesn't show up as a sent file when I'm on another. I think I'll adopt this practice.

Thanks,
Steve

@Steve...there is a script that utilizes MailTags that does what you're asking:
http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=12810

and here's the url explaining usage more fully:
http://www.simplicityisbliss.com/200...y-applescript/