The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus 2.0 Progress Report Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
The developers have been actively squashing bugs and adding some new features over the last year.

http://www.omnigroup.com/products/om.../releasenotes/

I wouldn't call this a dead horse when it is still being worked on.

as @rmathes said, the iPad, iPhone, and Mac apps are all still being actively worked on.

Now you may think "why are they wasting their efforts on version 1.x and just get on with version 2.0?"

There may be some of us who are happy with version 1.x and may not want to go to Version 2.0 just yet until the dust is settled.

If version 2.0 will be a radical change in user interface and user experience, it may be too jarring for some of us to change our workflow until we've had time to transition on our own schedule and not another software company's release schedule.

A perfect analogy is Windows 8. There are many people who are still working in Windows XP and Windows 7. Windows 8 is the newest version but many folks don't see the need or have the desire to upgrade to Windows 8 until the dust has settled and bugs are squished. Heck, some IT departments have finally just started transitioning to Windows 7. They could care less about Windows 8 until there is a program that really requires Windows 8 to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonng View Post
Now you may think "why are they wasting their efforts on version 1.x and just get on with version 2.0?"
Are they wasting their efforts/resources on version 1? I doubt, they "killed iCal sync" and added "repetitive tasks". That counts like zero.

I'm in the SW Business since 20 years, SW which is developed get add ons etc. on a regular basis and not twice a year and in OS X many things have changed, and there is no adaption to the new possibilities.

And sorry; I have no iPad and yes I was looking to buy the phone app, but reluctant to buy also because of the "non existent" development of their core app, which is still OF for Mac. I'm aware of their other apps, which I don't need.

But, Omni Group can be proud of such a customer base, I hope they will honor that.

Last edited by Brian; 2012-11-27 at 03:02 PM.. Reason: fix missing end-quote tag

[QUOTE=markus;117713]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonng View Post

Are they wasting their efforts/resources on version 1? I doubt, they "killed iCal sync" and added "repetitive tasks". That counts like zero.

Apple has deprecated iCal syncing in favor of iCloud syncing.

http://www.omnigroup.com/support/omnifocus-ical-sync

If Apple no longer supports legacy technology, why would Omni Group keep supporting it in new versions?

Omni had no choice but to kill iCal sync for Mountain Lion users. You can still use an older version of Mac OS X to keep iCal syncing.

Quote:
"non existent" development of their core app, which is still OF for Mac.
Non-existent development? Wow... I'm going to guess that Omni has elected not to show OmniFocus 2 just yet. A lot of the user interface and experiences that went into the iOS versions will most likely make its way to the Mac version. The Mac experience will definitely be affected by the work that Omni has done on the iOS side. So that can't count for zero.

Besides, why would Omni tip their hand and show off ideas that another company will probably try to steal?

I'm sure we're all frustrated by the non-arrival of OmniFocus 2. But it's something that none of us can control. Why worry about it? I've still got work to do and I'll do it with whatever tools I have at the moment. I don't have the time and energy to worry about a program that doesn't exist yet.

I'm betting that Omni would love to have OmniFocus 2 out already. But the introduction of the iPad put Omni's road map into uncharted territory.

Maybe I'm being optimistic but I hope to be very impressed with OmniFocus 2 whenever it arrives.

The question is: are they still developing OF or are we on a dead horse? An app with no upgrades for more than a year is usually in danger of being dead. Error corrections are no upgrades, to be more precise.

I believe that OmniFocus is the "Flagship" product of the Omni Group. If it's not, then what is?

That being said, I think we will see OmniFocus 2.0 when it is ready to ship. Announcing that something is coming, and then not being able to deliver in a timely fashion (e.g. Things and cloud sync) can be a public relations disaster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay6821 View Post
The question is: are they still developing OF or are we on a dead horse? An app with no upgrades for more than a year is usually in danger of being dead. Error corrections are no upgrades, to be more precise.
I think the product upgrade cycle has become insane and this yearly expectation has become the new norm. We see new versions of Adobe Suite, Mac OS X, iPhones, iPads, and other packages on a yearly upgrade cycle.

Sometimes we can become fatigued by the frequent updates. I don't think that a yearly upgrade cycle can be sustained for too long. If OmniFocus was upgraded on a yearly basis, wouldn't we all get tired of having to pay for yet another version?

I know of many people who are several versions behind on their Adobe Suite upgrades because they grew tired and cautious of Adobe's upgrade cycle.

There are examples of folks who have stuck with Final Cut Pro 7 despite Final Cut Pro X being released many months ago.

Let's take an example like Angry Birds. It's not exactly an upgrade but Rovio actively updates Angry Birds with new levels every few months. It's not a dead product by any stretch of the imagination.

I think that the reason why we are all looking forward to OmniFocus 2 is because we see competing products such as Things, Clear, and even OmniFocus for iPad offering a different user interface/experience. We're all hoping that a new user workflow will change everything and make OmniFocus easier to use.

Omni tends to work at their own pace. I've been hoping for a zoom feature in Omni Outliner which was promised for OO4 a few years ago. I'm sure that when (if?) the new version comes out it will have been worth the wait. Until then I just keep my handy magnifying glass next to my MacBook Air :)

So I'm sitting in my hotel room bored, after a day long business meeting, when I discovered a new task management application. 2Do in the Mac app store now has a desk top version and after playing around with a trial version tonight, there is a lot to like!

OmniFocus 2.0 can't come soon enough, the competition has some great features. I'm not quite ready to move all my info into a new system, but there is a new kid on the block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay6821 View Post
So I'm sitting in my hotel room bored, after a day long business meeting, when I discovered a new task management application. 2Do in the Mac app store now has a desk top version and after playing around with a trial version tonight, there is a lot to like!

OmniFocus 2.0 can't come soon enough, the competition has some great features. I'm not quite ready to move all my info into a new system, but there is a new kid on the block.
+1

It seems like we're all patiently waiting for the next thing. As an example, I waited forever for NovaMind 5 to come out with promised features. I'm still waiting.

Trying to guess Omni's strategy. From what I can surmise, it appears that OmniOutliner 4 will come out first and then OmniFocus 2. A lot of resources that is being spent on OmniOutliner 4 will carry over to OmniFocus 2.

*sigh* patiently waiting again but I get it out of my head 'cuz I've got things to do.

on the website of the Omnigroup: the January 31st intro Omnifocus 2? (see ipad image)

Quote:
Originally Posted by w.bone View Post
on the website of the Omnigroup: the January 31st intro Omnifocus 2? (see ipad image)
Sorry for the confusion! That screenshot does show January 31st, but only because the OmniFocus Setup event will be occurring on that date. Folks shouldn't draw any other conclusions from the image.