The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Archive emails into OF on iPad? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I was wondering whether there was a way (now or in the future) to send actions to OF on the iPad via your email account? Perhaps in a similar fashion as the "Applescript-rule" between the Mail and OF-desktop app?

I know nothing about software development, so I can imagine that this is outside the hands of Omni and has more to do with the Mail.app of the iPad (as a side note: I use MobileMe). But perhaps somebody can let me know; than I will start knocking on Apple's door :)

What I would love to see happening (and again, no idea on whether that is possible or not), is that you can forward received emails to OF as actions.

Anybody ideas on how to achieve that?

Unless you're willing to use copy-and-paste on the iPad, or some of the Mail options on the desktop, you're out of luck. It's on Apple to implement a Send to OF feature in Mail on the iPad. I'd be shocked if they favored a third party vendor like that, even Omni.

Curt

Hi rrklever

At the moment it is certainly possible for Omni to add the ability to open email inboxes (or iDisk, GoogleDocs, WebDAV, FTP, etc.) and view the contents within OmniFocus. However, I don't know if there are then sufficient hooks to enable them to convert the visible content into actions.

With a bit of luck one of the more technically literate Members will be able to answer this or, if not, it might be worth asking the Support Ninjas if they could find out if it is possible. You could then encourage other Members to email Omni requesting this ability.

Last edited by endoftheQ; 2010-08-04 at 02:12 AM..

Yes, Omni could embed their own email client in OF. Some of the reader apps have support for pulling attachments off imap mail servers, for example. The OF use case seems a bit more complex, and I wonder if Apple would approve an app with built-in mail reader. Nevertheless, that's an interesting idea.

Curt

Curt, appreciate your input, always right to the point. You are undoubtedly correct, if I think of the plethora of web browsers, instant messaging Apps, etc. it's notable that there has yet to be an independent mail client on the App Store. I'm guessing that those who've tried have suffered instant rejection by crApple.

I've seen a few apps which read IMAP mailboxes, such as mailPro and OneMail Plus and (probably closer to the OmniFocus use case) ReaddleDocs.

But another idea occurred to me a few days ago: what if Mail added document interchange support for the mail message you were currently looking at rather than just its attachments? That would require no new iOS APIs and no OmniFocus special cases, but would make it easy for an app like OmniFocus to advertise to the system that they open email messages which would give us an easy way to solve this problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
I've seen a few apps which read IMAP mailboxes, such as mailPro and OneMail Plus and (probably closer to the OmniFocus use case) ReaddleDocs.

But another idea occurred to me a few days ago: what if Mail added document interchange support for the mail message you were currently looking at rather than just its attachments? That would require no new iOS APIs and no OmniFocus special cases, but would make it easy for an app like OmniFocus to advertise to the system that they open email messages which would give us an easy way to solve this problem.
That sounds beautiful, but in the meantime I think a lot of the workflow problems when using the iPad in general as laptop replacement come from the absence of fast-app switching, which would make it a lot more amenable to playing around like one does with windows in the full OS. Granted, transferring information across app would still have to rely on copy/paste, but I think it would be a lot more tolerable than the present situation.
Maybe OG can help Apple push iOS 4 iPad out the door sooner? :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypotyposis View Post
That sounds beautiful, but in the meantime I think a lot of the workflow problems when using the iPad in general as laptop replacement come from the absence of fast-app switching, which would make it a lot more amenable to playing around like one does with windows in the full OS. Granted, transferring information across app would still have to rely on copy/paste, but I think it would be a lot more tolerable than the present situation.
Maybe OG can help Apple push iOS 4 iPad out the door sooner? :-)
Yes, I would agree. I have both Mail and OF in my bottom bar; so, it's easier to go back and forth between the two program now in my iPad.

One solution might be this. I don't know how difficult is for Omni to implement this though. In Toodledo, you have an option to email the task to their server. So, when I want to archive an email, I just forward that email to Toodledo. If Omni implement a one way sync where it will download only new tasks from Toodledo (I've seen this feature in other iPad task programs), then the task with the email message will be in my OF for iPad.

Perhaps Omni can duplicate this functionality with their Omni Server in the future.

Just started with OF on my iPad and Mac. Evernote has a feature to email notes to a dedicated user email address, even specifying a folder the note should go into. If I could email my OF address from my Blackberry whenever i think of something, and it ends up in the Inbox for processing when I go into OF, that would be fabulous, about the only thing I'm missing now from a great product.

If you are willing to leave your Mac running OmniFocus when you are away from the desk, you can do this now. See the help for "processing mail" in the Mac application.