The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Can't open file with OF 1.0.1 sneakypeek Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I updated my MacBook to 1.0.1 sneakypeek tonight, but am now unable to open my OF Data file. (My datafile is on a thumb drive, to facilitate working on 2 different machines).

When opening, I get a typical dialogue box "The document "Omnifocus" could not be opened. You do not have appropriate access privileges. To view or chang access priviledes, select the item in Finder and choose File>Get Info.

The only thing I see unusual to my eyes is that Sharing & Permissions lists me as having custom access. I don't know what that is. And, if I'm looking in the right direction, what I need to do to change it to get things working again.

After this happened, I took the datafile to my desktop machine. I have not yet updated it (currently v1.0), and although it was very slow to load, it did open there.

Any suggestions? TIA

Regards,
Shane

I'm guessing what's going on here is that the files are marked as being owned by your username on the first machine; when you try to open the file on the second machine, the OS says "that file is owned by another user. Not gonna happen."

I'd try taking the file back to the first machine and change the permissions to "anyone can read and write to this file".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I'm guessing what's going on here is that the files are marked as being owned by your username on the first machine; when you try to open the file on the second machine, the OS says "that file is owned by another user. Not gonna happen."

I'd try taking the file back to the first machine and change the permissions to "anyone can read and write to this file".
Brian, thanks for both the explanation and the suggestion. I'll try that when I get home tonight. Thanks.

Regards,
Shane

Hi Brian (or any else)

I tried looking at the file's permissions. It says 'You have custom access', but I can't find a way to change its' permissions; no lock or visible way of changing it. I tried rebuilding the database of the OF file also, but that had no effect either. Ideas?

Regards,
Shane