The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

reuse actions Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've got a Single Action List with monthly, recurring, reminders to download PDFs of banking statements (credit card, banking, etc...) It includes the URL for the banking statement download site and I'd like to re-use it.

When a credit card statement is paid in full, no further statements are generated (available) so I don't need the recurring action to remind me anymore.

I'd like to drop the current Action when the statement is no longer being downloaded and then reactivate it if a new purchase is made and statements are available again.

Is this possible?

Go to Project mode and create a folder called Templates. Create a project for your banking statement. Then change the status from "Active" to "On Hold".

You can highlight the project, open the inspector window and set the status to "On Hold." Another way is to control-click on the project and set the status to "On Hold".

Putting a project to "On Hold" will ensure that the project's next actions will not be viewable in Context mode.

When you need to activate the project, go to Project mode, highlight the project, select Edit Menu > Duplicate.

Rename it and move it into another folder. Then change the status of the new project to "Active".

Then you'll be able to tweak it and start work on your credit card statement project.

So it would look like this? The only way to put something on-hold is to make a project, put that on-hold? individual NA's can not be put on-hold?

Template Folder
-Project Credit Card A
--NextAction (Pay Credit Card A)

-Project Credit Card B [On Hold]
--NextAction (Pay Credit Card B)

I just setup a test project, put it on hold with a due date/time of just now. It still fired an alarm at the set due date.

My objective is to not see alarms/reminders of on again, off again, action items when the are "off again".

OF 1.10.2, OS 10.7.4

don't put a start date or due date for the template folder.

You will assign the start and due date when you set the new project to "Active" status.

Use the template method for this credit card project if the project does not have a regularly scheduled interval (for example, every month).

I am guessing there are two scenarios:

1. This credit card is used infrequently.

I would use the template method and set the start and due date when I activate the project. Otherwise the start and due dates are left blank.

2. This credit card is used every month.

I would not use the template method and just create a repeating project.
Highlight the project, go to the inspector, select the "Group" icon at the top. This is the checkbox with the curly brackets. Set the start date and due date for this project.

I typically pay my credit card on the 15th of each month.

I set my credit card project to start on the 10th and due on the 15th. In my Next Actions perspective, the credit card project will show up when it is the 10th of the month. I don't want to see this next action before that time. It creates visual clutter. When it is the 10th of month, I will see it appear in my next actions list.

At the bottom of the inspector window, you'll find the repeat options. Click on the popup menu and change it from "Don't repeat" to "Repeat every" and type in "1 month".

This will repeat the project with the same day next month. So my credit card project will repeat on the 10th of next month and is due on the 15th of next month.

You can also set it to your billing cycle. Some cards are due every 28 days. YOu can have the project to repeat every 28 days by typing it into the repeat field.

Optionally, you can check on "Mark complete when completing last item." This will just close out the project as soon as you finished the last task (paying credit card).

During your weekly review or when you receive your new credit card statement, you can adjust the start and due date.

Use the template method for projects that have varying start and due dates. One example would be a sales lead project. I have a standard template that includes:

1. researching client needs
2. call client to arrange meeting time
3. prepare sales pitch materials
4. arrange various project resources
5. present final proposal
6. follow up phone call.

I can re-use this template by duplicating it, changing the project name, start date, and due date. Then I can fill it out with extra information customized for each client.

A repeating project would be best used for projects that don't really deviate from a step-by-step plan.

Last edited by wilsonng; 2012-06-13 at 06:09 PM..