The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CPU Utilization on Editing Task Names Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
When I edit task names in my GANTT chart outline the text performance is very very sluggish so I looked at my CPU and it was running between 95 and 100%. As soon as I stopped typing it went back down to 8%.

I am running on OMNIPLAN v1 on a PBG4 - 1GHz - 1.25GB of RAM.
My project file contains fewer than 100 items at this point.

Anybody else see this behavior? Anybody have an explanation?

We haven't particularly seen this. A couple questions might help us track it down though:
1) Do you have the task names displayed in the gantt chart (on the right) as well as the outline (on the left)? If so, hiding them in the gantt chart (cmd-j will open the dialog for this) may help.
2) Do you have any third-party plug-ins (haxies) installed that might be trying to "help", such as a spell-checker or something from Unsanity? If so, try turning them off temporarily and see if this brings the CPU usage back down to sane levels.

I don't have the task names on the GANTT chart (actually I didn't know I could do that :)

The only add-on I have is TypeIt4Me. If you think that that might be getting in the way I can try to uninstall it and try again.

We'd really like to get to the bottom of this, but we don't have enough information yet to know what might be happening (since we can't reproduce the problem here). What would really help would be to measure where the CPU is going, which you can do by sampling the process; that should tell us exactly where the performance problem is.

Normally I would suggest that you sample the process using Activity Monitor (in /Applications/Utilities), but unfortunately it only samples for a few seconds and that might not be long enough for you to switch back to OmniPlan and conclusively demonstrate the behavior.

So instead, in this case I'd recommend using Terminal (which you'll also find in /Applications/Utilities), where you'll run this UNIX command:

sample OmniPlan 15

This will give you 15 seconds to switch back to OmniPlan and start editing those task names. Please continue to edit until the sample completes--it's amazing how long 15 seconds can seem! When the sample does finish, it will tell you that it put the sample report in /tmp by reporting something like this:

Sample analysis of process 9634 written to file /tmp/OmniPlan_9634.sample.txt

Unfortunately, the /tmp folder isn't usually visible from the Finder. You can use "Go to Folder..." in Finder's Go menu, but since you're in Terminal anyway you can also just enter the UNIX command "open /tmp".

From the /tmp folder you can access the sample report, which you're welcome to email to us at omniplan@omnigroup.com or to post here.

Thanks for your help!

Thanks for looking into this.
I have emailed the samples file (since it exceeds the attachment-size limit).

Happy New Year.

/lss

Thanks! That helps quite a bit: it looks like most of the time is going towards figuring out the appropriate size for the Gantt and Outline panes, but I'm not sure why that's taking so long. We'll continue looking into it.

OK.... Let me know if there is anything else I can provide.

/lss