The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Frequently used website adresses cache Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello...

I always enjoyed the feature in Firefox and other browsers that would save those manually typed-in web addresses in a drop-down menu. There are many webpages which I do not want to add to my bookmarks, but visit every now and then - it helps when I don't need to type the url every single time.

Also, the more frequently used addresses would be maintained in the list, as other, one-time visited url's, would get deleted automatically.

I think it's a great feature and would definitely up the ante for OmniWeb, seeing that it surpasses any other browser for macs already.

constantin

No browser works (exactly) the way you have described. All they are doing is either automatically completing the input to have a .com on the end, or they are pulling URLs from their bookmarks and/or history cache. Because you are frequenting the sites that are "remembered" more often, they are more likely to still be in the history cache than the one off occurrences, but as soon as the last time you visited exceeds the expiry period for the history cache, the browser will forget it again.

OmniWeb does both of these as well (if you have activated the history in preferences). The main difference is that, with OmniWeb, you don"t have to remember the URL, you only have to remember any part of it or part of the title of the page. Type that and OmniWeb will pull anything from bookmarks or history that contains that text. IOW, it works like Spotlight in how it identifies URLs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
IOW, it works like Spotlight in how it identifies URLs.
And that's exactly my problem. It will pull down any URLs that I have accessed and not just the main or heavily used links. They are not sorted by relevance/date/frequency of visits, as other browsers do it.

Also, I'd like to see a drop-down menu in the address bar for quick access to unbookmarked, but frequently visited sites/links.

Time for weekend,
constantin

Last edited by constantin; 2007-05-04 at 05:04 PM..

Just to clarify Jonathan's spotlight remark: You can also use _several_ words or parts of words you are looking for. I know, that's not what you're looking for at the moment, but it might speed up your searching process. Example: You browsed a lot on amazon.com, but now want to go to amazon.de which you have also visited a short while ago. If you start typing "am", all the amazon.com links will be there first as the list is alphabetically sorted. Just type "am de" and amazon.de will show up.

Personally, I to do very much prefer OW's way of handling these things over what most other browsers do, as they only show me stuff I _typed_ into the location bar, not the links I clicked on in a chat window, e.g., and might want to revisit.

Last edited by zottel; 2007-05-09 at 11:32 AM..