The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

So.. 2 years after and still can't save window position? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
What's going on? Why can't I set a custom window position in omniweb? No, a snapshot doesn't work, it only saves the first instance of a window. Subsequent new windows WILL NOT use the snapshot's position. So a snapshot doesn't change the default window position for all windows.

I didn't care much about window position on my macbook. But now that I have an external LCD with bigger resolution, I NEED to set the window position.

Firefox and Safari work seamlessly intuitively nice with this regard. In comparison, Omniweb requires a manual :P

So my request is: please allow me to change the default window position so that whenever I make a new window (assuming that omniweb is always running and there are no other active windows) it uses my custom window position.

Possible solution: add Window -> Save Window Position right below Save Window Size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by migueld View Post
Possible solution: add Window -> Save Window Position right below Save Window Size.
I thought that "Save Window Size" saved the position as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekJAB View Post
I thought that "Save Window Size" saved the position as well.
Under Leopard using OW 5.7 it doesn't... -.-

Quote:
Under Leopard using OW 5.7 it doesn't... -.-
I must be misunderstanding what you want. All my new windows open precisely where I want and I'm on 5.7 under Mac OS X 10.5.2.

I have a snapshot that opens in the top left corner. To test your problem, I then dragged and shrunk the window and "Save Window Size".

When I restart OmniWeb it opens in accordance with the snapshot and a new window will be as per dragged and shrunk version. In order to open it in at the snapshot position I just repositioned and resized it and saved the window size again. New windows now open at the snapshot position.

Sorry if I've completely misunderstood your problem.

Edit: My bad. I see what you mean now. Any other browser do what you want?

Last edited by derekJAB; 2008-03-17 at 08:29 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekJAB View Post
Edit: My bad. I see what you mean now. Any other browser do what you want?
Yea.. Safari and Firefox do. I think almost every other browser respects custom size and positions easily. I kinda see why OW would do this differently.. but it really isn't intuitive. And right now it's very broken :D

Quote:
Yea.. Safari and Firefox do. I think almost every other browser respects custom size and positions easily. I kinda see why OW would do this differently.. but it really isn't intuitive. And right now it's very broken :D
It works fine at my mac. 10.5.2 and Omni 5.7beta1. save windows size also saves the position.....

Quote:
Yea.. Safari and Firefox do. I think almost every other browser respects custom size and positions easily…
Hmm. Now I am confused.

New Safari and Firefox windows open in the default position only if there is no window open already, otherwise new windows are offset.

OmniWeb exhibits the same behaviour, so I'm with "theonehorst", OW remembers size and position and I am not sure how else you want it to behave.

Indeed, I concur with theonehorst and derekjab. OW always opens new windows -- providing there are none open already -- exactly the size and position where I did "save window size".

Safari and FF seem to work the same if I close a window, that sets the window size and position for first windows.

As pointed out by my colleague, additional windows are offset in all apps.

This is baffling... on my two macs omniweb is unpredictable with respect to custom positions. I've confirmed this behavior on 5.6 and 5.7 beta 1 on Leopard. I tried deleting application support files and preferences but I still the same behavior.

Many users have reported that OW has problems with custom positions in Leopard. But it gets tricky. Here are some cases:

• If a window isn't maximized, OW consistently offsets the position 21 pixels from the menu bar regardless of my custom position:

• If I place a window on the right (almost touching the screen border) and I do a "save window size" OW opens new windows on the left!
However, if I place the window on the left but not too close to the edge of the screen (50px margin or so), it remembers the position fine BUT it still applies the 21 pixels offset from the menu bar. WTH?

• Taking a snapshot saves the position ONLY when you relaunch OW. So if I quit OW and relaunch it, it'll show my custom position fine. But if I close that window and make a new window, it won't show my custom position. This may be the intended behavior; I'm only pointing out that snapshots do not override default window positions and so they can't be used for that purpose.

While I'm at it, cascading doesn't work well either. OW cascades off ghost windows:
- Keep 1 minimized window in the dock and make 2-3 new windows.
- Then close them but still keep that 1 minimized window in the dock.
- Make more windows.
- You'll see them cascading off the non-existent windows.

The correct behavior is for windows to cascade off a existing window, whether it's minimized or not, but not from non-existing windows. Safari gets this right.

Another note: these position bugs are easier to see on large screens (ie not a macbook). On my macbook I rarely see the 21px bug because the window is almost always maximized because of small resolution. So some may not experience the bug because of this.

So these bugs definitely exist, and are annoying enough because they are not entirely predictable. And they aren't easy to point out. What I'm wondering is why... These things need to be identified and fixed immediately.

Last edited by migueld; 2008-03-19 at 07:40 PM..

I think you're being a tad obsessive about your windows, IMHO.