The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

multiple projects with staff resources Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Can I create multiple projects (not tasks) and assign staff resources, and prevent scheduling conflicts across the projects?

For instance, I have one staff member who needs to work on three separate projects in a given week. I want to assign the hours needed for each project, obviously without overlap. Ideally I would then publish each project as iCal calendars, upload to a server and have the staff member subscribe to them.

I guess I need to share that resource across projects, but can't see if it's possible.

This isn't possible in OmniPlan right now. We do have a feature request for this in our database which I'll add another vote to for you.

In the mean time, you could create one OmniPlan project file and add each project as a group in OmniPlan. That way, you could put all the tasks associated with each project in the appropriate groups and still be able to track your resource schedules and see potential conflicts.

Add my vote, too. We have many projects and would like to keep our growing company's resources well scheduled and not over scheduled. A centralized server approach for resource management is essential.

Adding your vote jscotta. Thanks!

Yes, please do include the abilty to view multiple projects at once. A critical feature since I work on 6-10 projects a given time.

Thanks!

Unless I can create multiple projects as well as manage and view them simultaneusly, the program is not useful. I believe this is the case for most businesses. Why isn't this part of OmniPlan? I'm surprised.

lpj -- I think there may be a bit of a misunderstanding here. You can create multiple projects, save each as a separate file, and open each in a separate window at the same time. The only real limit there is your computer's memory.

On the other hand, OmniPlan cannot yet share resources across projects. If you must have a separate file for each project and a person is working on two projects, you should set their available units in each project to 50% (or the appropriate balance) so that they aren't assigned a full work load in each project. The other approach would be to delete their work hours from the calendar in one project when they're scheduled to work on tasks for the other project.

Please add my request to share resources across projects. We are an internal ad agency with our resources stretched across many projects. This would be extremely helpful in determining when to schedule in freelancers, and hire new staff.

Thanks!:)

mims:

Your request have been added. :D

Well, while the multi project PM functionality is not - yet - around, is there at least a feature to create one or more "dummy" project-templates with defined numbers of tasks, sub-task, dependecies and - this is crucial - resource allocations such that I can copy the whole lot from one project-plan into the next?

It also would be helpful to have replacement feature for the task name, so that for a group task and its children that were copied their dummy start of name tag can be replaced to fit the actual project in one go.. regexec capabilities welcome.

Pure Project Administration is nasty enough, so every bit of relief would be very welcome.

Finally, any thoughts on Priority based inclusion/exlusion from task and/or resource scheduling to a fast "What-If" instrument at hand to present the implications of priority settings or structure/resource alteration at board meetings?

Thanks in advance for any helpful reply.