The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

new context symbol Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
Obviously you missed the "flagged" toolbar button from a couple of builds ago. :-)
Well you can call me an ugly American but I always thought our flag was rather attractive but then again I'm sure most nationalities probably think the same of theirs as well. :)

Anyway, I agree that a neutral icon was more appropriate.

Last edited by whalt; 2007-07-03 at 08:53 AM..

the flash is really not nice. the @ was good

If we're voting, I certainly don't mind the arrow-dot icon (r88573). I'm not a big fan of the "@" symbol—while I can't be bothered looking it up in Allen's book, I'm sure the origin of the "@" was just a hack to make labels appear at the top of an alphabetized list (in Outlook?). For some of my contexts, it's a handy abbreviation for the literal "at" (e.g., "at home"), but they're not all locations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiramNetherlands
The new icon is a bit too conspicuous, I think. It pokes. It prods. But the new, huge red flag in the filter ribbon actually made me hide the whole ribbon! Of course, that's only temporary, I'm sure. Or it would be the very first ugly UI element to come from Omni.
I agree. My first thought on opening this build was ... Pow!

The flag filter should be a white outline, like the other ribbon items. But maybe our fearless ninjas did this to attract our notice, like the big smiley on the first build with repeat items.

However, I don't like the new context icon, not at all. Too bold, and it makes it harder to see the nesting.

I also notice the kitchen strainer is gone ... I liked that one too, but the new icon is not obtrusive. It just doesn't say "filter" to me.

--Liz

I'm not a big fan of the new context icon either. However, I don't enjoy being coerced into using "@" symbol. Especially when is doesn't apply, e.g. "@" errand.

I like the @, it's oh so very GTD.

The pokey arrow and flag are a bit much

I hate the new icon -- noisy & ugly, but I don't really like the @ symbol either. I also find it noisy. I'd prefer something as unobtrusive as possible that still provides the necessary visual structure -- perhaps a bullet.

I like the @ too...it unobtrusively links OF to its GTD roots

I liked the @

It's such a strange symbol... a circle around the a.

And can stand for:
at
around

which is what contexts are used for.

If you squint your eyes... it looks like a target.

Why does there have to a be an icon at all? @ or otherwise?