The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniOutliner to OmniFocus inbox? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joosey View Post
I love omni products, though I am not a huge nerd when it comes to this more complicated stuff. How/Where do I input the script information to transfer the info from OOutline to OFocus?

Please break it down step by step.

Most appreciative!

Thank you!
Save this as a script in your scripts folder for OmniOutliner Pro. That would be

<your main user root)->Library->Scripts->OmniOutliner Pro

Save it as a compiled script.

This should then show up in your scripts menu in the menu bar. When you run Omnioutliner, select the cells that you want to move to the inbox on OF. (using either shift-click or command-click). Select the script you saved above from the scripts menu and it the cells you selected will show up in the quick entry box - fill in the contexts and projects as desired.

j.

I've updated the previously posted script to include any notes attached to the selected rows in OmniOutliner:

Code:
tell front document of application "OmniOutliner Professional"
	-- set theDoc to front document
	--set columnCount to count of columns of theDoc

set theList to the selected rows
	set theCount to (count of selected rows)
	if theCount < 1 then
		display dialog "You need to select at least one row to use this script." buttons "Cancel" default button "Cancel"
	end if

-- go through each selected row in OmniOutliner and then create a corresponding
	-- action in the quick entry box of OF

set actionText to ""
	repeat with i from 1 to theCount

set actionText to (get topic of item i of selected rows)
		set actionNote to (get note of item i of selected rows)

-- create a new action in Omnifocus QuickEntry window

tell application "OmniFocus"
			-- create new action
			tell quick entry
				open
				set NewTask to make new inbox task with properties {name:actionText, note:actionNote}
			end tell
		end tell
	end repeat
end tell

Has this been addressed yet by Omni? Or do I still need programming chops to get line items from OmniOutliner to OmniFocus inbox?

You don't need to do any programming. It's already been done for you - see the above script. I use that (or my own variant) every day and I have one of my employees using it to. It works great.

Just do it.

J.

I brought this up on the OmniFocus beta forums earlier today. In the new V2 OmniFocus on OS X, getting data into your OF inbox from OmniOutliner is a simple matter of copy/paste. OmniFocus automatically pays attention to task hierarchies & task notes without any mapping required (and you can use bespoke mapping for things like contexts if you so wish).

Seems like a no brainer to bring this across to the IOS apps too.