The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Meta Tags In OOP? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I know I've seen meta tags mentioned before as a 'wish list' item. Is there any chance of getting them in OOP-4? Document level and Section level? Not just for Spotlight related searches, but from inside a document as well.

There are times I'd like to search for multiple "topics" in a document and only have the sections where all topics exist be returned in the results. If we could add meta tags per section, and search them, I could get the results where the topics are tagged and not just mentioned.

Any comments?

Thanks,
James B

After a little futzing about, I've discovered that a few keyboard-accessible special characters can be used to create a pseudo-tag that is searchable in Spotlight or the Finder. All other punctuation characters were either invisible to Spotlight or generated no results even when they were contained in a file. I only tested this on a US keyboard.

Choices: Option-z, option-9 and option-0 (main keyboard, not keypad) are searchable special characters.

Adding these pseudo-tags works anywhere. So you can add a 'Tags' Section or add them to the notes for the Section(s) they are related too.

* option-z: ΩHomer
* option-9: ªBartª
* option-0: ºLisaº

Of course another option is to just add a unique string to each item you want to 'tag', such as 'tagMarge'.

Please note that 'ª' and 'º' appear to be an 'a' and 'o' (respectively) to Spotlight. So if you use 'ºPen' as a tag, you are going to find every file with 'open' in it - which is why I suggest adding the 'º' to both ends of the item to be 'tagged'.

I know it's a kludge, but it's the best I could come up with. I'd be happy to hear any other ideas.

Thanks,
James

Last edited by WrongSizeGlass; 2007-01-20 at 01:35 PM..