The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

FR: Available Projects Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
One of the things that would be very helpful in the Projects filter drop down would be "Available Projects" this would show only projects that were Active and had a start that as or on today.

I have a lot of projects with start dates in the future that are not on hold but I don't want to see them every time I take a look at my project list.

The other way to go would be to automatically takes things out of hold once a start date has come.

Thoughts?

BZ

Hear, hear!

I submitted exactly that as formal feedback a month ago. It's definitely a needed feature.

Curt

Yeah, certainly needed.

I am finally 90% up and running on OmniFocus and it has only taken me 6 weeks! :)

The two big switches from kGTD were having projects have start dates and putting projects on hold.

In kGTD, I would just have a big project like "Finances" and in there really have a bunch of one line tasks that were actually projects. They would all have the context of "Maybe" which was my Someday/Maybe list.

In OmniFocus I created actual projects for all of them (drag and drop, thanks!) and just put them on hold. That way they are out of my view, but still captured.

The other really big switch was the project start dates. In kGTD I had tasks repeat and they would all show up in my todo list but now I broke out things like "Pay Rent" from a repeating task to a repeating project (Write check/Enter into Quicken/Mail check) and now the task only shows up when the start date has come. The change was figuring out how I want things to start and be due and how much time to put in between those two things.

Of course now I have tons of projects, a lot on hold, a few dropped and a bunch that are not yet to be started. The "Available Projects" view would hide all projects that are not started yet which would be great.

Oh, another feature would be the ability to sort projects, within a folder by something (date/alpha). As DA suggest, you should file things using Alpha so it would be nice not to have to do this manually.

I will be up to 100% when the true iPhone integration (tasks through iCal) shows up.

BZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwanaZulia View Post
Oh, another feature would be the ability to sort projects, within a folder by something (date/alpha). As DA suggest, you should file things using Alpha so it would be nice not to have to do this manually.
I've already submitted sorting by alpha as a feature request: AFAIK it's confirmed for 1.0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_f View Post
I've already submitted sorting by alpha as a feature request: AFAIK it's confirmed for 1.0.
That is great. Much needed.

BZ

I just submitted the request for a distinction between Active and Available Projects.

Another way of implementing it occurred to me as I was writing my request: What if "On Hold" projects had an option of becoming available on their start date? That might be a more elegant way of dealing with the problem, since conceptually, a project with a future start date is not active but, rather, on hold. On Hold projects without a start date would be left On Hold indefinitely. And if a project that was On Hold becomes Active, and you want to put it back On Hold, you could just change the start date.

Thoughts?

Last edited by brianogilvie; 2007-08-15 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: clarifying which request I meant

Hi Brian... I mentioned the on-holds and start dates above.

While that is a nice option, for ease of use it would be nice to just be able to filter out projects that haven't started.

BZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwanaZulia View Post
Hi Brian... I mentioned the on-holds and start dates above.

While that is a nice option, for ease of use it would be nice to just be able to filter out projects that haven't started.

BZ
You're right, I read the thread too quickly and missed the second part of your post. (I have intermittent internet access at the moment, but that really doesn't excuse me from not reading carefully.) I apologize for that oversight.

In an ideal world, both approaches should be permitted, perhaps with relevant preferences. In a 1.0 release, I'd be happy if either approach were implemented.

Bump because nobody from OmniGroup has posted about this...

BZ

I am all for this! It would be able to use start dates to put projects on hold. As I mentioned in another post, one of the difficulties I have had with OF is having too many things to look at it. This would be a great feature.