The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Feature requests: tags and "due soon" Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi, I just watched the excellent video at http://www.thesecretweapon.org/ and learned two huge missing features in Omnifocus by watching how they use Evernote to implement GTD.
1) Tags -- with a tag-based system, you can have multiple contexts assigned to each action. You can also have other arbitrary filters.
2) "Due soon," "Due later", etc. Most people have items that fit into these categories. You don't necessary need to start them today, you don't know how a given day might go, but you do want to do them soon. By forcing me to choose a date and time, OF makes me constantly "procrastinate" items. It's extra work. I want to be able to set a due date that if not finished, just moves itself back automatically. Because honestly, I don't have many things that are really due at any time.

So the takeaway is that OF suffers from the delusion that it is the only Right Way. It could use some flexibility in the areas of categorization and time.
I have many to-dos and am thinking of migrating to Evernote to try the tagging system.

Where do you see OF advertised as the one true way of doing things?

Your description of "due soon" is exactly how I use flags in OF. I have items which have due dates, and I have items selected during reviews which have flags. I do the things with due dates first, generally, then work the flagged items. No futzing with dates required. Of course, there's no reason one can't have an action with both a flag and a due date. Looking at the due section of the week shown in Forecast view gives me "due soon" and looking at the flag section gives me the "due later", although I don't really think of it in those terms.

Closing this thread (and similar ones in the other OmniFocus forums) in favor of the consolidated thread for this topic.