The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Looking for recommendation Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi experienced folks,
I would like to ask you for an recommendation of how to use OF. I would like to track customer orders using this software, however not really sure the best way to do it. I already use OF for months for another tasks and it serves me well.
This is my scenario:
- I get an order for let's say 5 different software packages
- I need to order them at 4 different places with different delivery types and times
- I also need to give customer his price for the whole box
- finally, I need to supply everything

Any ideas?

I'm curious to see whether anyone else has a suggested workflow for you, but I'd probably use another tool to process those orders (such as OmniOutliner or a spreadsheet—something that can do calculations). I would then use OmniFocus to remind you of the things you need to do (perhaps with a link to an appropriate document or folder in your actions' notes) rather than trying to use OmniFocus to actually do those things.

Does that make sense?

Hi Ken,
thanks for your reply. Actually I don't need to let the tool make calculations, I use Excel or NUmbers for this task. My problem is that when I get 10 different orders daily for 50 different items, I very easily loose track what's ordered, for whom etc.

I think you'd be abusing OmniFocus for this task. Perhaps you can look at Bento (from Filemaker), a notebook app like Journler or NoteTaker, a customer relationship manager (CRM) like Daylite, or even an online tool like Highrise.

Not knowing what kind of information you need to keep makes it harder to make better recommendations.