The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Where Did the Context Go in 1.5? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I just upgraded to sneaky peak 1.5 this morning. Now in my view the context column is gone. All that's there is the new, larger project column. How do I get rid of the project column and bring the context column back? Projects are pretty useless for me. I need my contexts ASAP.

Hmmm....I'm not quite sure I understand. We didn't intentionally hide any columns in the last few days, as far as I know...

1) Did you just join the Sneaky Peeks after running 1.0.3, or do you mean that you were running 1.1 sneaky peeks and now you've got a 1.5 sneaky peek?
2) Are you talking about the purple context list on the left or the context column to the right of the action names?

I noticed that the columns were wider in 1.5, but I fixed that by going to View / Show View Bar and adjusting the column width from there. They were all there, just scrolled off the right edge of the window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
Hmmm....I'm not quite sure I understand. We didn't intentionally hide any columns in the last few days, as far as I know...

1) Did you just join the Sneaky Peeks after running 1.0.3, or do you mean that you were running 1.1 sneaky peeks and now you've got a 1.5 sneaky peek?
2) Are you talking about the purple context list on the left or the context column to the right of the action names?
If I'm in Context view I have Name, Project, Due, Estimate, Flag, and Notes as the columns. There used to be a context there. That way I could have a list of everything due today for example and see right in the list which context it was in. Now I don't see the context. I like the context there since I keep the due today view up all of the time and get into a mood where I want to do phone calls so I just look for which ones are phone calls and do them. Now I have no idea which context they're in. Yes, I could go click on the phone context over to the left but I'd really love to have my context column back so I see everything in one place with minimal clicking around.

I was running SP 1.1 builds. I update the app every morning when it prompts me about the new build.

Is there any way to get back to the 1.1 installs? I looked for the download but it's only 1.5 builds listed now.

If I click on the column bar it only shows Estimate, Start Date, and Due Date as options. I have Estimate and Due Date checked.

Thanks for the quick responses. Let me know if there's some way to go back to an earlier build or some way to get my view back in order. My productivity dropped significantly today.

Hi.

You're probably using one of the new built-in mode switching buttons. I think to get the view you're looking for you'll need to:

1. Show the "View Bar" (View Menu > Show View Bar)
2. Change the grouping to Context (in the view bar, where it says "Due", just to the right of where it says "Remaining", change to "Context")

We might change this default.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas View Post
Hi.

You're probably using one of the new built-in mode switching buttons. I think to get the view you're looking for you'll need to:

1. Show the "View Bar" (View Menu > Show View Bar)
2. Change the grouping to Context (in the view bar, where it says "Due", just to the right of where it says "Remaining", change to "Context")

We might change this default.
Almost there. I changed to group by context. Now the contexts show up. I guess I'll just have to get used to everything being split apart. I like the group by due better since if I have another view which shows what's due today and tomorrow and now everything there is split into all of these different contexts. It's hard to get a clear view of today in one section and tomorrow in the other. I use this at the end of the day to see what's coming up next and what I really need to get through today (ie, stay up late).

What's interesting is the context column shows up in another view I have called "Quick Stuff". It has the same sorting. I've attached a few pictures.

Picture 1 is how things look now that I group by context. This is ok but I'd really love to have that context column back.

Picture 2 is my "Quick Stuff" perspective and it still has the context column. Puzzled why this perspective has the column I want.

Picture 3 is my today and tomorrow perspective where the context column is again gone.

Can I put a feature request in to get this column added back in?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	739   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 2.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	740   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 3.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	741  

Also in case you aren't familiar with them let me direct you to the thread about perspectives. Perspectives would allow you to save the view xmas suggests above and have it available in the menu or as a toolbar item.

New OmniFocus Video: Perspectives

Hope this helps!

Just a quick side note: 1.1 and 1.5 are really the same thing here. We added some new built-in perspectives to the toolbar about the same time we renamed the Sneaky Peek train from 1.1 to 1.5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedatl View Post
What's interesting is the context column shows up in another view I have called "Quick Stuff". It has the same sorting. I've attached a few pictures.

Picture 1 is how things look now that I group by context. This is ok but I'd really love to have that context column back.

Picture 2 is my "Quick Stuff" perspective and it still has the context column. Puzzled why this perspective has the column I want.

Picture 3 is my today and tomorrow perspective where the context column is again gone.
The context column typically does not appear in Context Mode. That's been true since the beginning, so I was surprised by your picture 2. Then I noticed that you are showing actions with No Context in that view. Sure enough, when I add an action with no context and select in in Context Mode, then the context column appears, but just for those items with no assigned context. Curious.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
Sure enough, when I add an action with no context and select in in Context Mode, then the context column appears, but just for those items with no assigned context. Curious.
Surely that's because a user might want to add a context to the action, right? So it makes sense that the column would appear for items with no context.

Having said that, I really have no objection to the context column being available for any action in context view.

-Dennis