The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

automatic back-up not automatic? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
My OF was acting a little strange so I wanted to revert to yesterday's back-up version. To my dismay, it seems that OF has not been creating daily back-ups. The only back-up files are from when I first started in January and they were manually done. I thought it was backing up daily because over the last couple months I have seen in my Preferences that my OF is set up for daily back-ups. What gives?

Thanks for any help.

In the same preference pane where it says it's doing daily backups, it should also say what the "Backup Location" is. Make sure you're looking in that folder. If there aren't any backups in that location, I recommend contacting our support ninjas (omnifocus@omnigroup.com) so they can figure out what's going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollificent View Post
To my dismay, it seems that OF has not been creating daily back-ups.
I looked in my OF backups folder and found that daily backups have not been happening for me either. I have prefs set to back up daily but not to back up when quitting. I have auto-saved backups - 30 of them. But there is no pattern as to when they have happened. Sometimes three days in a row, sometimes 8 or 10 days between. My last backup is dated 3/7.

I keep OF running all the time. So I quit OF and looked in the backups folder. No change. Then I started up OF, and behold! there is now a backup dated 3/13. I guess auto backups happen when one starts OF. If this is so, those of us who keep it running all the time don't get auto-backed up. Is it so?

I just committed the following fix to 1.0.2 which might explain why automatic backups are not always happening on schedule:

Quote:
Worked around an operating system bug which could delay automatic backups after waking a computer from sleep.
We're releasing 1.0.1 today, and planning to turn on 1.0.2 sneaky peeks in about a week.

Thank you for your advise Lizard. I found out that OF WAS backing up, just not in the location I thought it was. I think the confusion was caused because I had tried to manually backup OF to a different location when I was fiddling around with syncing ICal. When I looked in THAT folder, all I saw was 2 backups from January.