The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Inbox use Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
If I had my choice, I would always capture new items on the iPhone as a voice memo.

Perfect application:
OmniVoiceMemo
Hit application
New Voice Memo would open up and start recording
Hit stop or record another memo.

Is it possible to create an iPhone application that is a link into the OF iPhone application?

This would solve any of the syncing issues.
Hit the application,
OF new inbox item would load
Voice Memo start recording.

Just spent about $15 trying out voice recorder apps on the iPhone. Not being able to demo an app before you pay is pain in the... ahem... well...

Did find this one...
Note2Self
http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/Recen...2/viewSoftware

This app is a quick as you can be for entering a new voice memo!

It uses the accelerometer to start the recording!

Click application
move phone to ear
say voice memo
bring phone down from ear.

It can even automatically send an email with the audio after recording!
Perfect for getting it into OF inbox.

Only problem is it doesn't work with the bluetooth headset. But I haven't found one that does work with bluetooth yet.

Hmm... haven't gotten it to automatically go into OmniFocus from my mail inbox yet.

Ha fantastic! Until getting my iPhone 2 weeks ago, I was an avid Pocket PC user, and a beta group member for Pocket Informant (PI), the de-facto PIM for the Pocket PC. It's written by WebIS, who produce Note2Self (originally a PPC app too)!!!!

When PI for iPhone hits the streets, the competition is really going to hot up!

I'd still like quicker voice note input into OF, but I guess Note2Self might be a good temporary fix.

Thanks,

Mark

I tried out Note2Self... ingenious in how it uses the accelometer. But I find myself going back to the OmniFocus App for entering voice memo's. My experience of the OF is very fast.

Hit new inbox
hit done
hit record voice memo

The voice memo button is right under the done button, so you don't have to move your finger.

Plus, I don't have to worry about sync issues.

I agree with the first poster.

The Inbox is the most crucial aspect of Omnifocus on the iphone. It's not the only great feature, but it's the one that has to work.

If I have an idea in my head I want to write it down asap into a collector before it vanishes.

I have 3 (on the move) collectors right now:

a paper notepad and pen.
the notes tool on the iphone
omnifocus on the iphone

the paper is fastest, always works, and I don't worry about it losing my data, and it works during phone calls. However I might not collect the action into OF until later that day or the following one.

the notes tool is second fastest, always works, and I don't worry about it losing my data. However I might not collect the action for several days, which is a problem.

The omnifocus is by far the slowest, to the extent I have often become distracted before I get the chance to save my idea. I also don't trust it today : it frequently says "Server or Local" which makes me seriously frightened that either some local or remote tasks will be discarded. However, when it works it collects the action almost instantly into my desktop OF. It also has the advantage that I can decorate the task with extra details such as due date, project etc.

For GTD to work, it must be a trusted system (cf David Allen's book).

For GTD to work, it must not be a chore (cf David Allen)

In other words, make the inbox faster and reliable, please!

Suggestion:

make the inbox load first, leave the main database until the user asks for it.

If you want to preserve editing context (ie what project you were viewing last) then present a blank proxy for the project and allow navigation towards the inbox to operate even before the database is loaded.

Make syncing work and never ask me "do you want to throw away recent tasks / changes from your iphone or your computer". I know it doesn't say that exactly, but that's what I read into it.

Make it clear syncing is a non destructive, non blocking task. I need to know that a note i'm making now will stick.

I look forward to omnifocus on the iphone maturing.