The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How sync (align) left panel outline with main pane? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I often want to find the current location in the left panel outline for the current item selected in the main pane. Is there any way to do this? I can look around for it, but that's slow & cumbersome (& often changes the position of the left pain ... this is what computers are supposed to do :) !

I'd also like to go in the other direction. But simply clicking on an outline entry limits the display in the main pane to the selected item, when I'm trying to see the item in context.

I've searched & searched without finding any way to do these things, even though they seem so obvious (at least to me!).

Thanks.

Dave

Click on the Inspect button on your toolbar, and it will show you the Project and Context of the current item.

I think the OP wants some assistance finding where his project is in a potentially lengthy list which might have some collapsed folders, more than one screen worth of items, etc. to make it hard to just spot it with a glance. I wrote up a little Applescript a year or two ago in response to a similar request which doesn't attempt to show you the spot in the sidebar or scroll it into view or anything like that, but does print out the full name in the hierarchy. I don't see anything in the Applescript dictionary for OmniFocus that suggests to me that a script could control where a window was positioned (scrolling), but I'm far from an Applescript guru.

I often want this too. I suppose it's a feature request for a "show place in hierarchy" command.

Interestingly, I'm not able to find a feature request for this in the database. I've created a placeholder, but if you guys mail the support ninjas they can vote the request up on your behalf.

(I named the placeholder "command to reveal parent of selection in sidebar".)

I have this same issue. I've mitigated it to some degree by turning on "group by folder" in my planning mode perspective. It's not a perfect solution, but it helps.

-Dennis