The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Start Dates-Due Dates and iPhone behaviour Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi all,

Trying to conclude with some of my understanding of iPhone and desktop usage in the hope I can disband my use of Awesome note for iPhone

With the desktop Application I sometimes set start dates to prevent actions appearing when filtering using 'available' it works well if I do not wish to consider a particular action for a while.

With the iphone app I seem not receive notifications until the action reaches its due date so when synching iPhone and Mac the Start dates I normally use dont promote a notification on the iPhone

In my present use of OmniFocus I can only think that I must set both 'start' and 'due' dates, Not ideal. I was hoping someone here may be able to help me with a better way.

Also Can I create custom perspectives on the iPhone?

Thank you for reading.

Glen

The general purpose of start dates is to hide actions which you are unable or unwilling to work on before the start date. If I mow the lawn today, I don't want to see the "Mow the lawn" task again until a week from today. It doesn't however necessarily mean that I plan to mow the lawn a week from today, just that it doesn't make sense to do so before then.

OmniFocus doesn't do notifications for start dates on the iOS devices, although it does (via Growl) on the Mac. I vaguely recall there being some way to have Growl pipe those notifications to an iOS client, but don't recall the details.

I use the Forecast view to keep track of actions and projects starting today. If you bring up the Forecast view, then tap the eyeball icon, you should be able to configure it to also show actions starting today, not just those due today.

It is not currently possible to create perspectives on the iOS devices, although you can use context-based perspectives created on the Mac and automatically synced as part of the database.

Thank you whpalmer for your prompt and useful reply. I agree with your start date description. May be a little convoluted to pipe growl notifications to iphone if its possible. Great advise on the Forecast view I've set it to show start dates.

The behaviour I am used to is for there to be a pop up reminders on my iPhone and to not have to check manually.

I clearly must think some more on this

Thank you again

-Glen

ps. Would anyone know if it is worth waiting for the iPhone app to include notifications for start dates not just due dates.

This is how I get the Growl -> iPhone notifications for Start dates: Prowl. It works quite well:

http://www.prowlapp.com/

That looks very promising Gandalf,

....Just tried it and managed to get a test notification pushed to my phone OK but when a growl notification pops for Omnifocus (start date) it doesn't seem to get pushed to the phone.

I had a quick look in the application settings for omnifocus in Growl.

Yours Sincerely
Glen

Last edited by glen.saberton; 2013-03-19 at 02:56 PM..