The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus Mobile Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Over the weekend, I hacked together a lightweight HTML interface to OmniFocus using Applescript, a bit of shareware, and a lot of duct tape. This allows me to review my context lists, add new tasks, and mark tasks as complete from my cellphone.

You'll find the scripts attached to this message. Bear in mind that...
  1. Since OmniFocus is still in alpha, the scripting api is likely still in flux. There's a good chance this stuff will break in the future.
  2. I'm not offering support of any kind. If you have a question or problem, post it to the forums. If you make any improvements, please share.
  3. It occurred to me that the Omni Group might take issue with the name "OmniFocus Mobile." I'm not trying to establish a brand, and if you'd like me to choose a more generic name, that's cool.

Enjoy.
Attached Files
File Type: zip OmniFocusMobile.zip (38.0 KB, 580 views)

That is really cool! Just the kind of thing I was hoping for!

If you're using this script, please leave a comment. I'm tweaking it as I go, and I'll post the updates if there's interest.

I have been trying to set this up, but am having some problems. I assume you have to make some changes to the script (the server address), but I am not able to save the changes due to this error: "Expected expression but found property or key form," relating to this line: "set ThisTaskId to the id of ThisTask as string." The highlighted term is "id."

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrjohns
I have been trying to set this up, but am having some problems. I assume you have to make some changes to the script (the server address), but I am not able to save the changes due to this error: "Expected expression but found property or key form," relating to this line: "set ThisTaskId to the id of ThisTask as string." The highlighted term is "id."

I solved this problem by commenting out the "of machine" text. However, the browser is now timing out after waiting for response from the server.

Last edited by chrjohns; 2007-05-31 at 10:00 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrjohns
I solved this problem by uncommenting the "of machine" text. However, the browser is now timing out after waiting for response from the server.
I'm seeing the same issue.

I should try it on a G5 perhaps... maybe the emulation isn't happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas
I'm seeing the same issue.

I should try it on a G5 perhaps... maybe the emulation isn't happy.
I am on a G4, so I don't think it is an emulation problem.

Hmm... the "of machine" text is meant for those uber-geeks who are running their web server and ACGI script on a different machine than their copy of OmniFocus. For example, I do it because I use a MacBook Pro, and ACGI Dispatcher is not a Universal app. I'm not sure how commenting out this line would have fixed things.

However, with respect to the timeouts, I think I know what's going on.

The ACGI Dispatcher needs files saved with the "Stay Open" option checked. When you save changes to the script, Script Editor will sometimes un-check this option. You can tell this is happening by watching your dock: if, when you load the page, the .acgi app closes immediately after it starts up, something's wrong.

Here are the hoops you need to jump through in order to get this to work:
  1. Open omnifocus.acgi in Script Editor, and select "Save As..." from the File menu. Check the "Stay Open" option, and save the file.
  2. No matter what you do, Script Editor will save the file with an ".app" extension, but ACGI Dispatcher needs it to be ".acgi". To get around this, find the file in Finder, press Command-I to Get Info, and under "Name & Extension," change "omnifocus.app" to "omnifocus.acgi". Click the "Use .acgi" button when it asks you to confirm.
  3. Now, go into Script Editor and save your document again. It will warn you that "This document has been renamed to "omnifocus.acgi'." Click "Save" to save the document under the new name.

You can now hack away at the script:
  1. Make a change to the script
  2. Save the script
  3. Close the running copy of omnifocus.acgi
  4. Re-load the script in your browser
  5. Repeat

With respect to your original error, I have no idea. I have no way to reproduce the issue on my system, and I don't have the time to offer "official" support. Hopefully, this will set the stage for you to fix the problem yourself; if you find a solution, please share.

Best of luck,
-d.

yep, I was saving my script incorrectly.

Playing around with the interface now.

Yeah, this is pretty sick.

I might even have to brave the waters of my horrible phone webbrowser now.