The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > Community > Omni Lounge
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Software licensing and "Fair Use" Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
There's another thread on this forum that started out regarding a complaint a user had with one Omni Group product licensing. It has somewhat derailed and become more about licensing in general. There's some good discussion there but I think the reason for the initial thread has already been served and I don't really want to keep bumping it to the top.

I'm not sure of the best place for this thread as it doesn't related directly to a specific Omni Group product.

From what I've seen, precedence has shown that the largely undefined "fair use" allows for software to be installed on two computers at the same time. However, it does not allow for two different users to use that product at the same time.

So hopefully we can all agree that it is not legit to use one license between two users at the same time.

My understanding is that, under fair use, the same user can use both products on two machines at the same time. This why, for example, apps from developers like Adobe allow that.

The next step of restriction is disallowing both apps to be in use at the same time. I haven't seen any developers implement this.

An additionally more restrictive step is to not allow both apps to be running at the same time. Some software products including the Omni Group's, MS Office... are this way. However, MS for example, knows that using the network to enforce this is both a security risk and possibly violates fair use. So they provide information on their site on how to disable it.

At the least, I would like to see the Omni Group's apps allow both to be running at the same time, but not be in use.