The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OW 5.8 Failing on some web sites Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
The same problem is happening to me. I try to load most sites and the progress indicator just spins, and many minutes later the page might load, but with no stylesheets. I trashed all my preferences, and even downloaded 5.8 again, but, it still doesn't work.
Also, all the sites work fine in FF3 and Safari 3.
An example site where it doesn't work is omnigroup.com

Last edited by cristiana; 2008-11-05 at 07:49 AM..

All the sites listed here are opening instantly on my system with 5.8. In other words this one is not fully reproducible.

Yeah, I'm stumped as to what might be going on here. I would say that there may be a routing problem but the issue seems to be consistent across multiple ISPs for Dave at least. I would then think that maybe there is something local to the machine happening but it is consistent across multiple PCs. Needless to say, the sites work okay for me here in Seattle as well.

Other things I could suggest trying are:

Disable JavaScript in preferences and try loading a problem page.
Disable all plug-ins restart OmniWeb.
Turn on all Ad Blocking in the preferences.
Create a fresh user account in OS X and try OmniWeb there.

Disable JavaScript in preferences and try loading a problem page.

Tried that; no difference

Disable all plug-ins restart OmniWeb.

No effect.

Turn on all Ad Blocking in the preferences.

Ad blocking, on or off, has no effect, nor does pop-up blocking.

Create a fresh user account in OS X and try OmniWeb there.

Tried that already as I said in my first post.

I would think it a DNS problem if the problem didn't also occur on my home system on a complete different Internet connection. So I'm completely baffled.

Thanks,

Dave

What shows up in your activity window (available from your Window menu) when trying to load one of these pages?

Oh, looks like you're not seeing anything in there. Which leaves me back at being stumped.

I do get the ucdenver page to load eventually, but it doesn't look much like it does in Safari!

I get a long wait with the activity window showing this:

And when it finally finishes, the window looks like this:

HTTP log from OW attached to this post.

This was with a freshly created user, OW 5.8, 10.5.5, AT&T DSL through an Airport Extreme base station, no proxy. Safari loaded the site perfectly at the same time, so it isn't a general network problem, it would seem.
Attached Files
File Type: zip OmniWeb log.zip (1.7 KB, 352 views)

OW is even bogging on OmniGroup's own main web site. The only commonality I can find with the problem sites is that they're loading CSS whereas the sites that seem to load without problems don't load a style sheet up front. No idea why things worked until a couple of days ago and then stopped if it has to do with CSS. Troy, can you find out from your web server admins if they did any updates to the style sheets for the main Omni site in the last few days? That might tell us something, though again it might not.

P.S. It's also failing with the W3C CSS test site:

http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Test/

Last edited by dsawyer; 2008-11-05 at 11:53 AM..

I've found the problem, I think, or at least forced a fix. Something was in some way seems to have been poisoning the CSS settings in Omniweb in a way that even deleting preferences and OW itself and even going to a new Mac OS X user wasn't curing. I don't know if there's some sort of hidden file that OW uses to hold CSS information, but on a long shot I tried setting the Style Sheet setting to a local file and the sites then loaded without problem. Setting back to "None" still works, even after quitting and reloading OW. It may be that the problem setting is in the application bundle but that just reloading the OW app just caused it to be poisoned again.

So there seems to be some sort of subtle bug in OW's style sheets handling that allows the setting to be poisoned in a way that persists through deletion of the various application support and preference files. Perhaps that will give your developers a clue.

I'll confirm once I have a chance to try the same thing on my home system.

Regards.

Are other users able to correct the problem by setting a blank custom CSS file in the appearance settings?