The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transferring large number of projects to Omnifocus Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Thought I would offer a suggestion to new users to avoid frustration with the iPhone app when moving large numbers of projects from another application.

I used a web-based application for a year to GTD and recently started using Omnifocus. This involved manually moving approximately 100 projects with nearly 1,000 tasks via copy and paste from the web app to OF.

I activated MobileMe syncing and during the migration the iPhone app was unusable. It kept getting stuck on opening the document and syncing would go on for over thirty minutes. So I turned off syncing totally until after the migration was completed.

After turning syncing back on, to my delight, the document opened right up on the iPhone and syncing was flawless and fast in both directions. And I just cannot believe all of the features in the iPhone UI, including the type to select project. What a time saver and I never expected a feature like this in an iPhone app. Thanks OG for these great Omnifocus applications - they are providing me with so much more than expected. John

Another tip - use the Move Old Data to Archive... option in the File menu to shift any completed tasks older than e.g. a month to the archive. This will help keep your database size down thus improving synching speeds. This could also help following a migration, though it would depend on the dates and number of completed tasks you also import.

It's a good idea to set up a recurring task to remind you to do this on e.g. the 1st of each month.