The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Keyboard shortcut for "Edit note" changed with 1.1? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
We'll also be changing this keyboard shortcut in OmniOutliner. (But in both OmniFocus and OmniOutliner, we'll provide a hidden preference so you can change it back if you wish.)

Is there a way (yet) to have Escape actually cancel? When I set the preference to "force myself" to use Escape, it now does auto-completion. Which I understand is a standard Mac-ism, but (as a new Mac user) that's gotta be the dumbest standard Mac-ism I've ever seen. Escape, since the dawn of terminals, means, well, escape! I feel like a customer being hounded by a salesperson: "Are you sure you want to leave? Maybe you'd just like a different product? What if I give you a free month?"

Is there some way - via escape, or another key - to say "take me out of editing mode and undo anything I've just typed"? Undo is the obvious alternative, but it's sluggish, it sometimes takes a few repeats to do anything visible, and it doesn't always leave me with the right selection/field focus.

Please don't reassign "Escape" to something else, or I'll have to relearn that one, too! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Levitt View Post
Is there some way - via escape, or another key - to say "take me out of editing mode and undo anything I've just typed"?
No, sorry, not yet: that's definitely the direction we're headed, but we haven't implemented that yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Levitt View Post
Escape, since the dawn of terminals, means, well, escape!
Exactly. And everyone knows that escape is what you hit to do auto completion/escape recognition in the command parser in TOPS-20 and its predecessor TENEX dating back to the early '70s, right? From there it found its way into various Unix shells. I forget, what was the point I was trying to make? :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
I forget, what was the point I was trying to make? :-)
I think your point was that I, of all people to claim that "ESC has always meant escape", should know better, since the first computer I ever worked on was a DECwriter terminal hooked up to LIRICS, a TOPS-20 network run by the Long Island public school systems.

I don't think I knew about command completion, though. I was too busy being fascinated by the way every keypress moved the printhead back to position, printed the character, and then moved the printhead out of the way so you could see it.