The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 4 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Reading and writing Markdown outlines Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
OmniOutliner (iPad & Mac) is getting left behind in an ecosystem in which Markdown outlines have become a common currency of exchange.

Markdown outlines (nested hashes + use of tabs for additional level of ordered or unordered list indentation) have two advantages over OPML:

1. Read and supported by a wider range of tools, and
2. have a richer data model - support bold, italic, labelled links and the MMD extensions.

They can also, with @key(value) tags in the Taskpaper/Foldingtext idiom, support the equivalent of OO's additional columns.

OO needs to be able, on OS X & iOS, to:

1. Read MD outlines with Taskpaper @key(value) tags
2. Save MD outlines with Taskpaper @key(value) tags

Thanks !

Rob

I'm afraid I personally don't use Markdown (aside from Ulysses III) in writing outlines, so I can't really sympathise with such an argument (I prefer to use +B, +I, the F1-F8 styling options for OmniOutliner, ...), but –

If Markdown were to be integrated into OmniOutliner, I would prefer it to not be the default mode of operation (as per Ulysses III).

I agree – it clearly couldn't be the default mode (the .oo3 XML model is much richer).

But being able to Open and Save As Markdown outlines with TaskPaper/FoldingText tags would enable interchange with a lot of other very useful tools.

(Already possible on Mac with scripts, but not yet on iOS)