The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

current projects on plate - how do I implement? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
One implementation of gtd is that you make next actions, once you finish those actions, your project is over.

However, I have quite a few projects, some with due dates some without.

The projects without due dates are things that can be done in a context when I have finished the due date actions of that context, hence, no rush and not something I am worried about.

However, I often like to glance at a list of all of my projects, projects & NAs to those projects that have due dates till let's say, the 2nd week of december with it being sorted date wise.

Problem is it gets cumbersome to view projects without any overarching purpose/roles, so I place them in folders, how do I go about getting a picture of things that I am involved in that have due dates that need attention?

Bold is to emphasize the parts I am trying to implement

Last edited by leo; 2010-11-26 at 11:26 AM.. Reason: Edited for clarification and update on mods action to move to applying to omnifocus

Project mode, grouped and sorted by due date with due date column displayed doesn't do what you need? You could also install Rob Trew's excellent Where in OF script and do a search for

projects where (completed is false) and (due date ≤ today + 3w)

which will net you a window focused the projects which are not yet complete and have due dates prior to 3 weeks from today, grouped by folder and sorted by due.

Last edited by whpalmer4; 2012-07-17 at 09:30 AM.. Reason: Update link

I appreciate the response whpalmer4 :) I was wondering if it's possible to implement it in OF by itself?

Not as well, but see the first part of my post. It does give a slightly different answer, as projects without due dates but containing actions with due dates in the selected timeframe will get sprinkled in there. In other words, if you have a project with no due date, but an incomplete action due on Dec. 3, it would show up in the list, whereas Rob's script with the query I suggested would only show projects that project due dates.

Do you have an objection to using the scripting facilities that Omni provided for just such a use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Not as well, but see the first part of my post. It does give a slightly different answer, as projects without due dates but containing actions with due dates in the selected timeframe will get sprinkled in there. In other words, if you have a project with no due date, but an incomplete action due on Dec. 3, it would show up in the list, whereas Rob's script with the query I suggested would only show projects that project due dates.

Do you have an objection to using the scripting facilities that Omni provided for just such a use?
my apologies whplamer4 :) I seemed to have over read that.

I do not have an objection with scripts. It's only the moving from one pc to the next pc back in the day that made me more wanting less customizability and moving to a mac.

My problem is solved when Grouped by due and sorted by due :)

you're very helpful and thank you for your availability :)