The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Paste and Match Style not working in an Action's notes Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
This is happened before, and I thought I might have even discussed it here, but a search for "paste and match style" showed nothing.

When I "paste and match style" using text copied from a Word document (Word 2008) into the note section of the action, instead of pasting text in with the default style, it simply closes the note and does nothing.

Strangely, if I:
1. Paste text in with original formatting.
2. Copy all this text again from the Action note (not the email)
3. Delete the note's content and close it
4. Reopen note for the Action
5. Do a "Paste and Match style"

Then it works!

Why does it work this way but not directly?

Last edited by Rockyroad; 2010-08-02 at 03:36 AM..

What version of OmniFocus are you using? Paste and Match Style using text copied from the body of an email works as expected for me, using the 1.8 SP.

I am using 1.75 but more importantly I mistook the culprit application.

It does work as expected in Mail.app, but it fails to paste from Word 2008.

I just tried it with Word 2008 and SP 1.8 and that works for me also, so it could be an issue with 1.75 that has been addressed in 1.8.

I get exactly that behaviour when trying to paste-and-match-style from Mail using the latest 1.8 alpha. I filed a bug with Omni some time ago, but then went travelling and haven't followed it through.

So the bug exists, but I don't know why it exists.

I've seen this issue as well. Although I've never been able to reproduce it consistently and have not noticed any particular pattern. I don't have Word installed on my system, so it definitely happened while copying/pasting from some other app.

As others have reported, it only seems to fail if I try to match style. A regular paste works fine (but of course the style of the original text is preserved, which is often not what I want).

Unfortunately, because this problem is so intermittent, I've been reluctant to report it without more info. But now that others are seeing it as well, maybe I should send feedback to Omni.

-Dennis

What I want from this is actually more: "paste and strip rich text". I just want the plain text of what I copied.

What I have found very useful, and for more than just with OmniFocus, is Plain Clip. It's great for formatting the clipboard to plain text and can be called from the Dock, Launchbar, etc., and is free.

Plain Clip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Jones View Post
What I have found very useful, and for more than just with OmniFocus, is Plain Clip. It's great for formatting the clipboard to plain text and can be called from the Dock, Launchbar, etc., and is free.
I've never tried Plain Clip, but did you know LaunchBar can paste plain text by itself?

There are many other utilities for this as well. Personally, I've been using Keyboard Maestro lately. It's not free ($36) but offers a lot of functionality.

-Dennis

Thanks for the reminder Dennis. I use the Launchbar clipboard history, but for some reason I've never got in the habit of using the Launchbar clipboard for simple copy-paste as plain text functions. I should perhaps work with that-would be one less app I need on the Mac.