The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Repeating Projects/Action Groups...mark all actions to repeat too? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
So this may be simple. I found a similar thread, but it appeared too specific to answer my question.

All I want to know is this: If I have a project or action group that needs to repeat, do I need to mark it as repeat, only the actions contained within, or both?

You probably don't want to set both the project and the stuff in it to repeat. Either one or the other.
Suppose you have a "Clean House" project with "clean counters" and "sweep floors" in it, and want to do each of these tasks once a week.
If you tell the project to repeat weekly, then each Saturday morning, the project will become due, you check off each task in it and then check off the whole project and the project will create a fresh copy of itself due next Saturday (with all the actions in it waiting to be checked off).
If you tell each action to repeat weekly, then you'll only ever have the one project and you'll never check it off ("a woman's work is never done"?) but you can check off each task in it independently. Check off "sweep floors" on Tuesday and (if it's set to repeat on completion date) it will reappear next Tuesday, but the "clean counters" will reappear a week after you check it off on Thursday.

If that's still not making sense, try asking again or provide an example of what you're trying to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
You probably don't want to set both the project and the stuff in it to repeat. Either one or the other.
... you check off each task in it and then check off the whole project...
The problem with this approach is that if the whole project (even if it is an action group) does not appear in the Context list so one must go back to the Projects list in order to get the repeat project or action group.

I'm in favor of the current behavior that does not automatically complete a project just because all of its actions are complete since there may be more to come, but I have not found a good method for the very common use of the repeating action group given in this example.