The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

What do you use OmniOutliner for? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi all !
That's a very good question.
In fact i bougth OO for Mac because i thought i would be able to create a "customer follow up file", something like
"client XYZ, last seen may 12th, spoke about that and that..."

In fact, i did not succeed in implementing OO i started to use evernote (free version).

As i bought OO (mac version) and currently work allday long on omnifocus (mac and ipad), i would be very pleased to use OO on ipad if ever i understand how to use it to do what i want.

From what i see, users input a lot of stuff into there OO file and i feel a little stupid not to be able to organize my database.

Why do you use many OO files ?
As you use many OO files, how do you do to find the one you need ? (only catch is the file name....) ?

Well, as you can see, i would really appreciate to use the soft and probably buy the ipad version...so please...tell me !

;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
This may sound radical… But now that I can access (even if sub-optimally) my files on the iPad, OmniOutliner is taking up the role of Scrivener for all small to medium-sized writing projects, with proper text entry, attachments for documentation, etc. The extra export templates make OO a very powerful tool all the way up to the final formatting in Word/Pages.
That, in addition to the more 'traditional' use of outlines, lists, lab book notes, simple data sheets, and protocols.
I find this downright strange :)

How big is medium-sized in this case?
I don't find writing longer texts in OO or OF inviting at all.

My use of OO? Generally for outlining technical documents (actions, steps), or even as a master for drafting a toc to be used as an information map (which I then import into OG) or as a conversion tool for processing input from xls-files into OmniPlan or OmniFocus or OmniGraffle. In this respect, OO serves as the foundation for structuring my information.

Pretty simple usage but really helps:

I have a job where I need to process a large amount of 'jobs' through a proprietary application to determine problem areas.

I simply have a list of jobs, and start/stop time columns, and an error type column.
I can attach screenshots for jobs which need to be referred to another co-worker.

In short, a very focused todo/result list.

This is an old thread, but it poses a good Q
for additional ideas or uses that hasn't occurred to one (me?).

Pretty much, I use it for anything that one might matrix in a spreadsheet, short of involved calculations. (I've never warmed to Excel as easy edit-friendly).

Nearly every outline I create, seems to beg for columns to organize & differentiate the items listed.
  • Any outline that may balloon into a matrix
  • Work Projects - Discrete engineering mini-projects. Indented tasks w/ status details
  • Weekly meeting accomplishments & This Weeks Goals
  • Moving simple brainstorm maps to-from Outliner (vial OPML) for adt'nl processing
  • Track Keyboard shortcuts (test new ones, cross reference between apps)
  • Vacation & Business Trip Checklists
  • Horse races/analysis for easy reference at track (personal tip sheet)
  • Small videos - track shot list (scene collections) & potential music
  • Music performance set list: tunes, key & tunings, bpm, special amp settings, snippet of the basic melody & bass line.

Work Proj status tracks complications & details:
Bullet point of tasks needed to complete a project
(which OmniFocus does too, but the columnar additions in OO are particularly useful to me).

Who is assigned, or project leader reported to.
Start date. ETC (estimated time to complete to remain facile in judging work rates), current completion percentage, release phase, release dates, and others.

OmniPlan would be useful instead, but this tabular information that is discussed & needs to be in a form that the person you report to can deal with.

Last edited by Ramshackle; 2012-12-17 at 04:14 AM.. Reason: Improving readability & detail